Shot 23'new cartridge predictions?

277 fury might be a hot commodity to jump on now, wouldn't be surprised to see some rifles touting their chambering with the 80ksi capability. Would not be surprised to see a 6.8 Creedmoor at some point soon (277 fury is a 1:10 twist and built for shorter bullets afaik). Although it might be a little too soon, maybe in a few years from now when the steel head cases become available.
The saami spec for the 277 fury is a 1 in 7 twist. That should stabilize every 277 currently known and should handle some new ultra long ones.

277 fury might be a hot commodity to jump on now, wouldn't be surprised to see some rifles touting their chambering with the 80ksi capability. Would not be surprised to see a 6.8 Creedmoor at some point soon (277 fury is a 1:10 twist and built for shorter bullets afaik). Although it might be a little too soon, maybe in a few years from now when the steel head cases become available.

They released some more high pressure ammo the other day but it's still $4 per round. The brass case stuff is right in line with everything else. If the price doesn't come down, it'll never catch on. But I'd think it will when the military actually fields it and gets companies producing it en mass.

Last edited:
The saami spec for the 277 fury is a 1 in 7 twist. That should stabilize every 277 currently known and should handle some new ultra long ones.

They released some more high pressure ammo the other day but it's still $4 per round. The brass case stuff is right in line with everything else. If the price doesn't come down, it'll never catch on. But I'd think it will when the military actually fields it and gets companies producing it en mass.
You're right it is a 1-7, thats good, don't know where I saw 1-10 for it, but 1-7 is fantastic.

I think the military will be building its stockpile for a while yet before the civilian market really sees much. I could see the all brass version catching on though.

It seems insane that the 25 Creed and 25 PRC havent been SAAMI released yet.
The 25-06 seemed like it was mostly touted for being a "laser" but that's just due to lighter weight .25 cal bullets of the times.
I have 22, 6, 25 and 6.5 Creeds currently...and I think with the 25 now in the stable...the 6.5 is my least favorite.
I feel the same about my 6.5 PRC (3 of them). The PRC case is a little bit to small for a 156gr bullet....but pretty dang over bore for a 105-110gr 6mm.

What is "the 25 Creed and the 25PRC for 2000" Alex!!!!

Last edited:
I never really jumped on the Creedmoor bandwagon. Already had a 22-250 ai with lapua brass so the 22 creed was meh... I'm low on 6mm guns, having just a 243 but had a 260 when the 6.5 came out it was a flop for me. All mine had aftermarket fast twist barrels amd I hand load and each already had lapua brass. So all the benefits of factory ammo, fast twist and quality components were.... meh. Doesn't diminish the cartridges, just because it copies things that were good before its inception.

The prc is an interesting one. The 6.5 x 284 was and is a great round and very popular in the early 2000s. But as bullets grew over 130 the length began to be a real issue, so the prc was an actual solution of sorts. It was just 10 years behind the xm action... the other solution. I agree it's better suited for the 120-140 class bullets, but it with a 140 in a mountain rifle is just about right.

The 25 cal deal is probably where I'd go if I was a gun co. Just recently shot a 2506 ai a friend had built. As a kid one of the guys who took me hunting was a 257 Weatherby guy so also had some familiarity with fast 25s. Both rifles were setup more in the vein of lazzeeoni style doctrine (moderate weight bullets very fast) not the high b.c. dialing method so common the last 15 years or so. In this vein a hot 25 really does well for a lot of the game harvested in a lot of the locations it'd taken. Long range went from my focus to a tool in the hand bag, seems like the larger market is making the same transition. Bullets are getting slightly lighter, rifles are getting shorter barrels for cans and were splitting the velocity/b.c. paradox.

A 25 prc would be faster than a 6mm prc because of bore efficiency, but still maintain relatively ok weight and b.c. I think selling it as a short action 2506 will go a lot farther than the 25wssm. In something like a kimber open country you would have a pretty viable rifle for mpbr and with a decent optic also the capacity to dial a bit further. All in a package in the mid 8 lbds, recoil with 120s will be good and on game it will hit a bit harder than most 6mm game bullets if even only a little.

As someone not currently holding any 25s in my stable, fingers crossed they make one.

...nothing new that hasn't happened in the last 75 years...I'm getting we're spending a lot of $$$$$ for very very little gain overall...

6.8 western necked to 25 would be a 25 wsm essentially with a little longer neck. I'd take that as well, but the prc line in general seems to shoot for magnum but just a smidgen more moderate. Market seems to like magnum but light.

And frank. Your probably at least partially right, but it certainly won't stop them from putting stuff out. We've already got the 360 from remington and Henry, a rimmed 350 legend. So clearly the market wants a 35 caliber lever action round..... since nobody can think of one that already exists.

No dealer can afford to stock all of the calibers available at the time.
You can say that about any item in any industry.
No car dealer can afford to stock every trim level of every model in every color with every motor and ever individual option. OK?
Any competent business owner will stock...
1) what they can get.
2) what they can move.
3) what they can profit from.

No dealer can afford to stock all of the calibers available at the time.
Sure they can.
.243/6mm
.264/6.5mm
.284/7mm
.325/8mm

That is less than 20 guns.

Now scopes...you know, you can always sell scopes that you don't ACTUALLY have by taking a photo off the internet and claiming you are selling it.

Rumor is that they will be releasing a new 8mm based off the 7STW case. I can't wait for the new 8STW!
7stw came from 8mm remington magnum.I had one of the first 7mm stw in this area, with no 7 stw brass........I neck down my 8mm mag brass,your 8mm stw circa 1977

Koja, I'm 99.7% positive varmint hunter only needed a sarcasm font. Not wanting to put words in his mouth, but that's precisely the funny point. That there was a rumor of a cartridge that's the parent cartridge.