Ballistics and Predictions

ADMIN

Administrator
About a year ago, the Lapua company released aerodynamic data for some of their bullets. However this time the numbers were based on measurements taken by Doppler radar. It's important to note that no public details were given in regards of the equipment and configuration used to take the measurements and post processing.

Doppler radar is, without a doubt, the most reliable method known to ballisticians to obtain in-flight aerodynamic data. Doppler radars are used to acquire exact real world data on the flight behavior of bullets. From the collected data points, through a process called Data Reduction, Lapua derived Coefficient of Drag curves, from which BC and other important parameters were calculated then referenced to the ICAO Standard Atmosphere, in order of make these numbers useful for post processing in ballistics programs. Read More...

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Ballistics and Predictions, By Gustavo F. Ruiz. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article

Truly a SHAME! A great article filled with many facts for those that may care about ballistics and most people could not really make out the charts and graphs to really appreciate what was being said.

I decided to put them together so you, the reader, can have this page open and using a different window have the article opened and by just clicking back and forth appreciate the article by being able to see and read the charts and
graphs.

The first challenge was to make them readable, clear and make the file as small as possible... 276 KB will have to do...

The second challenge was to keep the charts the same size without allowing the photo holding site to shrink the original...

12345678.png

Eaglet, Thanks for doing all that work. I and I'm sure others appreciate it.

Eaglet, your welcome. You've done these sort of aids before and I know it takes a fair amount of your time and makes it easier and/or more convienent for us folks and didn't want your time and talent to go unrecognized. Take care.

Finally got around to reading this article. Interesting to compare the differing ballistic software predictions to some solid (Doppler) bullet velocity data. Also interesting to read the "Closing Notes" section and learn which analytical methods of modeling are being used by some of the different ballistic programs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts