short range varmit cartridge

screech

This is just a thought and also to see if any one else has done it. Has any one heard of or seen a 6x221 fire ball or 25x221 fire ball. I know these are not going to be a long range cartridge but they seem almost perfect for a short range ground squirle cartridge. My ground squirling normally ranges from 5-150yrds with 300yard shots being far. I mainly use a 22-250 and a 22lr for ground squirle hunting. both have there advantages. 22 is cheap and dosen't seem to scare the squirles as much. Problem is that it has a limited range. the 22-250 is flat shooting but gets hot real quick when the squirles are out. The 22-250 also spooks the squirles more than the 22.

Hence the thought of the 25x221 or the 6x221.

This may also run acroos a close range chuck or two.

Hey don't forget about the 22 hornet it may be old as the hills themselves but it is cheap to load and very fun to shoot. Or why not the 221 fireball or 17 mach 4.

[ QUOTE ]
This is just a thought and also to see if any one else has done it. Has any one heard of or seen a 6x221 fire ball or 25x221 fire ball. I know these are not going to be a long range cartridge but they seem almost perfect for a short range ground squirle cartridge. My ground squirling normally ranges from 5-150yrds with 300yard shots being far. I mainly use a 22-250 and a 22lr for ground squirle hunting. both have there advantages. 22 is cheap and dosen't seem to scare the squirles as much. Problem is that it has a limited range. the 22-250 is flat shooting but gets hot real quick when the squirles are out. The 22-250 also spooks the squirles more than the 22.

Hence the thought of the 25x221 or the 6x221.

This may also run across a close range chuck or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why you don't consider the straight .221 Fireball. It is fairly quiet, good to 300 yds, and available off the rack without the cost of custom dies.

Also... the new .17 Fireball (ballistically identical to the .17 Mach VI), is ideal for ground squirrels, with a 20 grain bullet at 4,000fps.

I've got a buddy that shoots a 6mm-223 and loves it , he shoots the 55gr Ballistic tip. It shoots the 55gr 6mm bullet that has a higer BC faster than the 22 cal 55gr pill with the lower bc so its actualy out shooting the 223 with the same weight bullet.
The report is reasonable , recoil is low accuracy is awsome and barrel life is very very good. I've seen him kill ground squirrels out to 400yds with consistancy.

I was looking for a cartidge with about the same requirements as i shoot a swift for anything beyond 200 yards. I settled on a 12" bull 22 k-hornet for my encore pistol. Might be getting a rifle in the same cartidge as well.

I sure like my .222. Its super accurate, mild report, and reasonably flat shooting to 300 yards would seem to make it a good choice for squirrels. I took the 40g VLC up to 3700fps with great accuracy. That would be dandy to 300 yards on squirrels IMO. If you miss, its your fault, not the cartridge, ha ha.

I also would think the 6mm-223 would be a dandy as well. Load it with a 55g NBT, should be a hoot to shoot! HOwever its a wildcat so building a rifle would be the only way to go.

mostly the reason I was thinking of the 6x221 fire ball or the 25x221 fire ball is to have something different and to have something that I can put alot of bulluts down the barrel without it warming up much.

I can usually shoot around 10 shots out of my sporter barrel .222 before it starts to get pretty warm. Thats quite a bit I think. Or quite a bit more then I"m used to with a 22-250 or 25-06 where you only get about 4-5 at the most before the barrel heats up.

The original .221 FB would be hard to beat for short range varminting. I shoot the 40gr B-Tip (moly) bullet @ 3,600 ft/sec in my 21" barrel. It has accounted for MANY groundhog kills out past 300yds.

The only drawback to the .221 would be noticed during windy conditions. However, you were talking about 150yds, at that range the little bullet doesn't get blown around all that much, epecially with launch speeds of 3,600 ft/sec.

If you just want something different than I guess you could use the 300 Whisper (.308-221). Fairly quiet and production dies should be available. Another benefit would be that you could load the 240gr Matchkings, thus making the little 221 a very effective 1,000 yd elk (maybe deer) rifle, should the opportunity present itself.

Screech, 221FB is a great little cartridge and one of the most enjoyable I shoot on a regular basis..224 bullets are plentiful and available in all grades and shades{sizes and shapes}not so much for .257 projectiles,especially the lighter weights you'd probably want to use in that capacity case.That being said "nothing ventured nothing gained".Give it a try. I've always heard great minds think alike and I remember reading about a wildcat 25-222 that John Wooters used for a calling rifle in the late 70's early 80's and best I recall he knew at least a little about guns and hunting.Not exactly the same case capacity but close enough to show your idea is not that far-fetched.Good luck and good shooting. Brute

10 rounds is quite a bit but there are some spots where the squirles are as dumb as a rock and you can shoot as fast as you can reload for a good 3-4minutes. In 3-4 minutes I can put alot of bullets down range.

Dude, no slam but I wouldn't shoot even a deer at a 100yrds with a wisper. Some might be able to but I prefer alot more horsies.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.