Short range elk cartridge

You have almost every thing you need for a 338-06. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd go .338 Winchester, or a short mag variant. Reason being I think thats where the heavier bullets start being useful. You can always load down, but pushing it hard to get what you want isn't alway feasible.

Although there is nothing wrong with a 338-06, I totally agree with Harperc on this. I personally think the 338 win mag is the best all-around elk cartridge ever made. period.

It can drive a 250 grain bullet fast enough to be a real hammer. You can shoot right through gamble oaks and other bushes without worrying if you have enough power (assuming the elk is right on the other side of bushes). As long as you put the bullet on a path that is going to hit the heart and/or lungs, it doesn't matter what the angle is... an elk shoulder will not stop a 250 grain bullet fired from a 338 win mag.

And you can build a 338 win mag into a hunting weight rifle without having excessive recoil. Although, at close range, I'm not sure an elk is going to know the difference between a 338 win mag, a 338wsm or a 338-06, 338 weatherby, 338 Edge, etc etc. They'll all get the job done with authority. Build what YOU want.

I'm contracting a bit of foot-in-mouth disease after talking about reamer availability but does anyone have a ny info on a 338/284? I know it would accomplish the same t hing as the 06 I'm just curious. Thanks!

I'm contracting a bit of foot-in-mouth disease after talking about reamer availability but does anyone have a ny info on a 338/284? I know it would accomplish the same t hing as the 06 I'm just curious. Thanks!

Like you said it's basically going to be a 338-06. Except now you have to neck up brass from 284 up to 338. I have known guys to neck all the way up to 375 starting with the 7mmWSM case, it just seems like a huge hassle. Can it be done? Sure... but why when there are so many easier ways to go about it.

Necking up from 308 to 338 is much easier. the case necks are not worked as much and you will get more uniform, and thicker, wall thickness with a smaller 'donut' where the thicker shoulder has been formed into part of the neck.

I also just checked on midway, and they have 338-06 A-Square brass in stock right now. Since weatherby chambers for the 338-06 in their factory rifles, I think that's the way to go if you want to stay away from the magnum cases.

I know this is a thought in the opposite direction, and I haven't played with the 338Federal, but I've heard others getting the 180AB to shoot at 2750fps out of theirs. Some others getting about 2600 in the 200gr bullet class. Seems like that'd do the trick for the range you indicated. If it were me I'd be thinking about going that route, although as I think more about it I'd probably just go with the .338 A-square.

You can't go wrong with .338-06, I have the AI version. If you were thinking of going 338/284 why not look at the 338 RCM, good velocities from 20" barrel, better from 22. That will be my next project on a mod 7 action.

I think it leaves you still needing a long action. In which case, if your looking at wildcats, I'd go .338-375 Ruger.

the 338 federal would work and it's not out of the question but I have a 6.5x284 that would do the trick with partitions I just want something with a step up in power. Rock I've thought about the ackley version as well. What velocities do you get out of it if you don't mind me asking?

Gray R, I have worked with RL15, IMR4320 and 4064. Just started working with WW 760. PM me if you would like more in depth info.

Gary,
I understand the question was a short range hammer? One question I believe you should ask yourself: How long will you be satisfied with short range? Will you wish to extend that range? Now maybe you are like me and that would just be a good excuse to get another rifle.:D Good luck with your decision and above all have fun.

Dmj I completely understand. But right now I'm just worried about this one hunt that will happen right before I move home. When I get better practice and more oppurtunities and experience I'll stretch it a little! But I'm keepin it to 300 on this one. Probly just end up using a 308 with 180s. Who knows

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.