Short range elk cartridge

Gray R

Hey everybody. I'm new to colorado so I'm having a first time elk hunt this fall. I have a 338 barrel blank and I'm wondering what cartridge for a max of 300 yards on broadside targets. And let me say that I have let a lot of game walk because a broadside didn't present itself so I will wait for the right shot on this one too. I know I don't need ultra mag performance at this range I just want to do it right before I move home. Thanks to all those with experience and let's hear it!

I have a 338-300 WSM built on a Winchester short action and a 24" pac-nor ultralight contour barrel. It's a perfect ultralight setup that is fast to draw and shoot in the thick forests. With a scope the rifle weighs in around 7.25 lbs.

I agree that you could go with a 338 win mag or a 338-06 and any of them will get the job done. I like that my 338wsm is built on a short action, so that's an advantage it has over the others. It will better the velocity of a 338-06, and come very very close to the 338 win mag.

Overall it has given excellent accuracy and is very efficient. I"ve shot a whole bunch of elk with it ranging from 30 yards out to beyond 600.

I shoot the 210 TTSX at ~2850 fps and the 225 Accubond at ~2775 for my accurate loads. I neck up 325wsm brass and shoot H4350 (or RL17 if I can't find H4350). I have shot a few elk with the 250 Accubond out of this rifle, but the recoil was a bit severe.

Yeah that'd be great but I have access to a 338-06 reamer so I'd rather do that than have to rent one. It certainly sounds interesting though! Is it just a straight neck up from the 325 brass?

Yeah that'd be great but I have access to a 338-06 reamer so I'd rather do that than have to rent one. It certainly sounds interesting though! Is it just a straight neck up from the 325 brass?

338-06 will be a great cartridge.

The SAAMI spec of both the 300 WSM and the 325 WSM are exactly the except for the neck/bullet diameter of course. So I just use 325 brass and it keeps the neck wall a bit more uniform and works hardens it less when I expand up to 338.

I'm gonna have to give that one some thought. And what would real world velocities be with the 06 and a 210 my manual reads about 2700??

I'm gonna have to give that one some thought. And what would real world velocities be with the 06 and a 210 my manual reads about 2700??

I think you'll get 2700 at max pressure with a 210, accurate loads will likely come in ~2650 with the 338-06.

It really comes down to what cartridge you WANT to hunt with. I think it's fun to get wrapped up in the numbers to pick the perfect cartridge but in the end it's all about being in the mountains chasing elk. Go with whatever cartridge you are the most excited about.

When I built my 338wsm I wanted the ultimate package... Light, compact and fast without sacrificing much power. The WSM cartridges are tough to beat given these requirements.

Here's a pic of my rifle.

Attachments

• 338wsm.jpg
    338wsm.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 104
Yeah I'd love to go as light as possible but my barrel is a number 4 so I'm not sure it's gonna happen

Mine is a 358 WSM wildcat with a shortened (1.8") case. 225gr AB at 2770fps. That should thump them within a quarter mile.

Yeah I was going to go 358 sta but I got the 338 barrel for 130 bucks so I couldn't pass it up the 338-06 is lookin good I think

Go with a 338 edge and load down and if and when you will need the performance its there for you at no extra cost. and the little bit more power can make up for a not so perfect shot so you don't have to possibly pass on shots?

I don't think the barrel is long enough to take advantage of the edge capacity. The biggest I would do is a 340 weatherby and I've thought hard about it.

You have almost every thing you need for a 338-06. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd go .338 Winchester, or a short mag variant. Reason being I think thats where the heavier bullets start being useful. You can always load down, but pushing it hard to get what you want isn't alway feasible.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.