Adequate Cartridge for Elk???

Shoot the rifle that you shoot best, the go to gun. With todays bullet selection out there and awesome optics its a waste to run one 338 lapua you shoot 10 times a year and are afraid of, whether its the recoil or the wallet hit. Mostly when guys have a "varmint" rifle they shoot all the time and it's chambered in something like 260, 6.5 creedmoor, '06
Happy Hunting!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

I have never hunted elk, but would like to in the future. With that being said, I am wondering what REALLY is an adequate cartridge for elk? Not necessarily at long ranges.......just normal ranges, let's say out to 300 yards??

I have read tons of articles and posts on this, and other forums, stating that no rifle chambered for any cartridge smaller than .30 cal should be considered for hunting elk. I have no doubt that that the .30s are great for elk. However, anybody can go to youtube and view hunters dropping elk (cows and bulls) with none other than the wonderful .243 and 6.5 Creedmor......at long range (600-800 yards).

So, what is the deal? Why is it so difficult for so many to realize that elk will fall to many calibers.....even many which are smaller than .30?

Elk will fall to many calibers. It is not so much caliber as bullet construction and shot placement. There are some calibers that are better than others. You may be restricted as to the shots you can take with a .243 because it may not penetrate as deep as others. I personally would never attempt a shot at 600-800 yards on elk with a .243. Not that it can't be done but there are better calibers for the job.

Being a muzzle loader hunter I am limited to shot placement and distance, but an elk will drop to my .50 that has less oomph than a .338. Now I am limited on how far I can shoot (200 yards) and the shots I can take, but the reason the muzzle loader works is heavy bullets that penetrate into the vitals. That is what is needed no matter caliber, hitting the vitals to cause enough terminal damage.

So I expect to the end of time we will have the argument on calibers on which is best for what game, and the minimum caliber for what size game. I personally have made the decision that if I am confident in my bullet to penetrate and cause enough terminal damage to cause a quick humane kill, that is the caliber I will use.

This is what happens when he have way too many choices at our disposal; too many opinions thrown all over the place.

You know what they say about opinions ...

:):D:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Marble,
I used the 140gr accubond at 3150fps this year and performance was somewhat puzzling, but still good. At 500 yards my first shot was about 10-12" behind the shoulder. No sign of a hit, and upon inspection, no exit. Second shot I held a bit forward and hit him on the shoulder maybe 1/3 of the way up. That dropped him like a stone and the bullet did a hell of a job breaking the on-side leg and plowing through the heart coming to rest in a lump on the far side. I cut skin and the bullet fell into my hand. I didn't weigh it yet, but I'd guess about 50% retention. That bullet seemed to perform excellent, not sure on the other one as we were in a hell of a spot and boned him out without gutting so I didn't go digging for it. On elk with that first shot, I'd prefer to shoot a caliber that will penetrate all the way and if I use the 7MM WSM again I may switch to the LRX or the 160 AB.

I feel the same. That's why I don't shoot my 708 at elk. I could. But I won't. I'll stick to my 300wm with my 7mm as a backup.

My 300 went in 10 inches behind the shoulder of a bull this last year, hit the ribs on the far side, made a 90 degree turn, went through four ribs, hit the liver, knicked the stomach, through another rib and lodged in the skin. 400 yards with a Nosler AB 180 @ 3240.

Don't you know only magnum cartridges are capable of killing elk?

Stay away from .280 rem, 30 06's, 308's, 260 rem, 6.5 x any thing, he'll even 9.3x62's may not be big enough!
Highly agree with this, my go to is the 300 RUM at 180-200gr. Long capabilities and knock the hell out of elk closer in due to high velocities and impact energy. Haven't had one go anywhere yet.

I would have something large enough to handle any visitors you might have who wants to steal your elk. Or high tail it out of there.

Any off the rack basic. 308 or 30/06 will handle anything up to 500 with minimal punishment to your shoulder and wallet and your brain worrying about ammo availability in the far far future....when you can't find anything for tgem everything else will be obsolete..