Short barrel elk .308 cal elk rifle

How about...?
Gear-head-works.jpg
Only with 300WSM...

I want to build short barrel .308 cal elk hunting rifle but not sure of performance capability. Considerations:
1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
3. 6-8 lbs build minus optic
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Is this possible using 300 PRC or should I go with something more compact ie 300 wsm etc?

Thoughts/recommendations.

Thx
300 wsm will do all you want . I would go 22, but you wont give up much in going 20. Kimber 84m would aboutdo it perfect!

I have a 16" barrel 308 and I shoot barnes TTSX 168 @ 2470 FPS in cold weather.

I could not get enough velocity w 175s...

I have taken cow elk and mule deer just under 500 yards (self imposed limit w this rifle).

I want to build short barrel .308 cal elk hunting rifle but not sure of performance capability. Considerations:
1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Is this possible using 300 PRC or should I go with something more compact ie 300 wsm etc?

Thx
Wether be doing guard 300 whether be nothing.
I wanted the same thing - went with 22" 300 Norma.

I can easily get 2900 fps with Berger 215's and H1000.

I shot 181 Hammers at 3040 this season. The rifle took 6 elk at ranges from 50 yards to 550 yards with this setup. None went more than 30 yards, and no excessive meat damage. Very happy.
Where did you take 6 elk?

The real question is are you buying off the shelf or building one yourself or professionally? The same with ammo? With a budget of $1000's of dollars someone can build it the way you want. Realistically, off the shelf is a 10lb'r with optics and can with factory off the shelf ammo shooting @1moa or more. Good luck and happy hunting!

1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Thx

Well, in your post it kinda reads like you're going to keep the shots within a reasonable range, wanting to use a heavy bullet in a handy field rifle. So, why not just cut too the chase, short 20" barrel with a caliber that won't be so sensitive to bore diameter in velocity, say something in .35 caliber or .375 caliber, of course, .338 is always a possibility, however, I think the aforementioned may have a little more bone-crushing characteristics going for them. Your bullet weight pick is much more achievable with those above caliber I'd think. You did state the action size for the build, so here's my guess for a couple of cartridges'..., I'd take something in the .35 cal perhaps a .350 Remington Mag or .35 Whelen box store cartridges so to say, I have a friend that wildcatted a .375-350 Rem Mag and loves it in his light rifle. Well, good luck... cheers.

Like others said, the WSM can do this when properly throated. The Win Mag, PRC and Nosler would all work as well. The WSM could come pretty close to hitting your numbers while still fitting in a short action magazine.

I hunt off of horses, and run an ultra 7 on pretty much everything I shoot, so I built myself a handy short action that would fit in a scabbard and be light enough to carry when stalking. I kicked around various combo's just like you are, and settled on a short action chambered in 7mm/300 WSM. I run RL23 and have a very sweet shooting load with the 180g Berger HVLD at 2950 (accuracy node, didn't cap out pressure and hit ~3050fps).
I set it up as a BDL with a Bartlien 9 twist Sendero trimmed to 22".
I've since wanted to change to DBM, and also lost a bit of confidence in the bergers terminal performance so I am in the process of reconfiguring a bit, regrinding my reamer for a slightly shorter freebore to accommodate the 175g ABLR in a shorter OAL mag.
I'm very happy with the rifle, with a heavy razor scope it sits at a pleasant 12 lbs. I'm setting back this barrel to shorten the freebore, but I'll probably go with a proof heavy Sendero next time because it balances just a touch nose heavy.
041CF10E-539C-41ED-B21A-4BF0B6CA8F5B.jpeg

It looks like I am not going to add too much to this but I will try to ad some clarity.
with all the cases mentioned above; the best case for this would be the 300 WSM. so that in mind here is how I would build it.

300 WSM (excellent choice)
#5-#7 taper fluted barrel (stiff but moderate weight )
1:8" twist rate (all heavy slugs from 210 through 230)
215-220 class slug Berger. do not forget the heavy Berger 30 cals will utilize this twist well.
18" - 20" barrel (using the faster burning powders should leave you with the muzzle speed you want)
very effective muzzlebrake/"suppressor"
Chet Brown "pounder" to keep the weight down a bit
your choice of bases, rings and scope should make this a very compact-effective little rig.
I am glad I saw this tread, I have a rig to e-mail my friend in the R&D department. might have to see if a certain rifle company will build this in the custom shop for sale.

1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Thx
I don't think you can reach all your objectives in 30 cal

You could try 300win mag, save weight in barrel like a proof barrel and use the suppressor to regain velocity loss, but then you've a can handing off end of barrel and your short length requirement is blown

Scrub precision rifle forums and sniper books for info
Good luck!!

I got a Remington 308 Tactical in a trade . The action had been accurized , it still had the 20" bull barrel on it plus Timney trigger set at 2.5 - 3 lbs . I'm running 168 and 175 Sierra bullets with 43.5 grains of Varget seated .062 off the lands and set the shoulders back .002 . I'm still working on the loads but it's running .750 groups at 100 yards with 10 rounds . I think I have a short barreled 30 cal. elk rifle or about anything I would want to hunt with it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.