308 and elk

What is the effective range of a 308 on elk?

probably further than the average hunter can shoot accurately

the .308 still has 1800 ft/lb of energy at 400 yrds.

but I would limit the effective range to no more than 300 yrds.

morning Rcoody u were not in Viet Nam, if u could ask Carlos Hitchcock, THE

WHITE FEATHER!!!! the 308 is still and will remain an icon in long range shooting.gun)

I have 2 308's. 1Ruger M77V and 1 custom Mauser 98, timmey trigger, BMG, and H&S

precision Tac stock, and all of the accuracy goody's. both shoot .500. have kills

+500yrs. barnes and lapua bullets.

just country

Life member NRA-TSRA

morning Rcoody u were not in Viet Nam, if u could ask Carlos Hitchcock, THE

WHITE FEATHER!!!! the 308 is still and will remain an icon in long range shooting.gun)

I have 2 308's. 1Ruger M77V and 1 custom Mauser 98, timmey trigger, BMG, and H&S

precision Tac stock, and all of the accuracy goody's. both shoot .500. have kills

+500yrs. barnes and lapua bullets.

just country

Life member NRA-TSRA

I didn't know he was Elk Hunting. I thought he was targeting something much smaller and less tenacious than an elk. I also thought his primary rifle was a 30-06.

As for the question asked by the OP, a 168 gr Berger bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2750 fps falls below the 1800/1100 standard at about 600 yards.

probably further than the average hunter can shoot accurately

the .308 still has 1800 ft/lb of energy at 400 yrds.

but I would limit the effective range to no more than 300 yrds.

We all know shot placement is still the key. As "my" unwritten rule, I try to keep the KE at POI at 1500 FT/LBS for elk size game regardless of caliber/chambering ... but that's just.

It never hurt to be more conservative as you, not to mention it increases the odds of humanely harvesting the game; an excellent rule of thumb IMHO.

Cheers!

I didn't know he was Elk Hunting. I thought he was targeting something much smaller and less tenacious than an elk. I also thought his primary rifle was a 30-06.

[ame]https://youtu.be/3uSTOHa4Im4?t=2[/ame]

Agreed! He probably meant .308 cal, not chambering. I think the "man" was pretty awesome and can probably use any weapon you give him effectively ...

To kill the enemy, Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope. On some occasions, however, he used a different weapon: the .50-caliber M2 Browning Machine Gun, on which he mounted the Unertl scope, using a bracket of his own design.

(http://historywarsweapons.com/carlos-hathcock/)

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=yhs-blp-default&hspart=blp&hsimp=yhs-default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NmlXlddi06k#t=47

morning EDD no he was not hunting elk, gunny was hunting a species much more

dangerous. HE STARTED WITH A M70 IN 7.62 nato which was the main cartridge

adopted by the US Military. yes the gunny at one time

adapted a 50cal for sniping. respect is something we earn, evidently u need to

b schooled. sniping was done with an adapted m-14, 300wm and the 3006.lightbulb and

some devices civilians have not hear about. the M70 was one of the 1st. rifles.

then the 700 rem. action in the M40 configuration. Did u eat any dirtlightbulb

Braise yourself ...

Popcorn_nommer_zps55b98a2b.gif

:D:):cool:

I run a 308 with 215 Bergers at 2460 fps, have no problem punching an elk out to the 1000 yard range at the 7500 ft elevation.

This is embarrassing

I only run my 308 as a medium range rifle. 165 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip. I'm sure it's ballistically good much further then I run it (300 yards), but there are just much better options available.

morning EDD no he was not hunting elk, gunny was hunting a species much more

dangerous. HE STARTED WITH A M70 IN 7.62 nato which was the main cartridge

adopted by the US Military. yes the gunny at one time

adapted a 50cal for sniping. respect is something we earn, evidently u need to

b schooled. sniping was done with an adapted m-14, 300wm and the 3006.lightbulb and

some devices civilians have not hear about. the M70 was one of the 1st. rifles.

then the 700 rem. action in the M40 configuration. Did u eat any dirtlightbulb

This is not correct, the chambering on his Winchester was always in 3006

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts