Short barrel elk .308 cal elk rifle

B/2-75

I want to build short barrel .308 cal elk hunting rifle but not sure of performance capability. Considerations:
1. 215-230 Berger
2. 2800ish fps
3. 6-8 lbs build minus optic
4. 20"-22" barrel
5. Use 6"-7" can
6. DBM

Is this possible using 300 PRC or should I go with something more compact ie 300 wsm etc?

Thoughts/recommendations.

Thx

20-22" -- I thought you said "short" barrel ;)

300wsm-- 215's can hit 2900fps in a 24" so a 22" would be in the range you are looking for
300 prc load data is showing 215's @ 2950 in a 24" so again, it fits your parameters for a 22" with 215's

I'd bet a 300wm would be close too

just make sure you get an appropriate twist and throated properly for the bullet you want to use

real question comes with what the barrel actually like-- just because a max load can hit your parameters doesn't mean it will be most accurate at that speed, only actual testing will show that

if you are looking for "lighter" weight than you can drop a little weight by using shorter actions, but know that the wsm case is pretty full when you shove a 215 into it so extended mag boxes can help you gain a bit of case capacity back as long as the rifle is throated for them properly

you could check out the sherman short cartridge or maybe a sherman max if you called and talked to them

20-22" -- I thought you said "short" barrel ;)

300wsm-- 215's can hit 2900fps in a 24" so a 22" would be in the range you are looking for
300 prc load data is showing 215's @ 2950 in a 24" so again, it fits your parameters for a 22" with 215's

I'd bet a 300wm would be close too

just make sure you get an appropriate twist and throated properly for the bullet you want to use

real question comes with what the barrel actually like-- just because a max load can hit your parameters doesn't mean it will be most accurate at that speed, only actual testing will show that

if you are looking for "lighter" weight than you can drop a little weight by using shorter actions, but know that the wsm case is pretty full when you shove a 215 into it so extended mag boxes can help you gain a bit of case capacity back as long as the rifle is throated for them properly

you could check out the sherman short cartridge or maybe a sherman max if you called and talked to them

you have a 24" wsm running a 215 at 2900?

Thats smoking, that's higher than load data I've seen from 30" barrels.

tagging in for this, building this exact rifle minus dbm right now and still haven't decided between win mag, prc, and nosler.

I kniw a guy went to a 338br..300gr bullet...made his brass from 7mmbr..16" barrel....shoots 13gr of something....under sonic...but the bullet loses very little speed after it leaves the barrel...how he came to that.............
50 years of building all kinds of odd ball stuff...
I shot it...no kick..sounds like a 20ga shotgun going off...
Highly accurate at 100....all we had to shoot for distance...
I know....too slow....a centerfire shooting slower than a new mzldr......but reloaded a lot faster.....
Would be a great in the woods or stand rifle.....weight was nothing....

I wanted the same thing - went with 22" 300 Norma.

I can easily get 2900 fps with Berger 215's and H1000.

I shot 181 Hammers at 3040 this season. The rifle took 6 elk at ranges from 50 yards to 550 yards with this setup. None went more than 30 yards, and no excessive meat damage. Very happy.

You're asking a pretty tough question. Getting that speed with your requirements isn't easy.
BUT your best bet would be a 30 nosler throated properly. Has the capacity and with a 9 twist plus faster powder- might be doable.

The 300 WSM with a 215 rocks this kind of build!! We've ran the Crux suppressors on a 24 inch barrel, reamer set up for a throated out 215 and it's running nice at 2900 fps.
Is this with rl-26? I would settle for 2800 with h-1000 or rl-23 for the temp stability. Do you think I could get there with these powders in a throated out 300wsm with the 215?

RL22 almost hits the 2900 point, Rl23 will hit the 2900 with a 24", rl26 might be more never tried it

The 215 has a shorter bearing length thus it can be driven slightly faster than lighter bullets

Bearing length measurements
210 vld hunting = .510"
210 vld target = .529"
215 hybrid= .463"
230 hybrid =.529"

Last edited:
RL22 almost hits the 2900 point, Rl23 will hit the 2900 with a 24", rl26 might be more never tried it

The 215 has a shorter bearing length thus it can be driven slightly faster than lighter bullets

Bearing length measurements
210 vld hunting = .510"
210 vld target = .529"
215 hybrid= .463"
230 hybrid =.529"
You talked me into it! That's a lot of performance from that package.

Have a 22" 300 Win and 300 PRC and pretty easily break 2800 with both. The 300 PRC is about 7 lbs. Don't think I can make it any lighter than it is unless I dropped the dbm setup and ran BDL. That is with Ti action, proof barrel and manners EH1. May sound weird but for me that is to light, I ended up adding at ATACR scope just to add some weight. I prefer shorter barrels also for hunting cause I run a TBAC Ultra 9.

30Hammer built a fantastic sheep rifle that meets your criteria. Weatherby Fan has Kimber builds that could be cut down too. Bigngreen could build exactly what you're after. The 30 Nosler, 300 PRC, 30 Sherman Magnum and 300 WSM all could be ideal based on the platform.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.