Shooting your load

Firearrow

This might be better sooted for another place, but I usually post here. What does everyone use as a rest when testing there loads. Something that can take the human error out of shooting, as much as possible. I usually use sand bags, but sometimes I wounded if I should be using something better.

I usually use bags front and rear when testing. I sometimes use a front rest made by sinclair. (Not that it has to be a sinclair.) Also with a rear rest. My opinion is if you are confident in your set up then concentrate on the trigger pull and know that your going to get the recoil either way so why flinch! If your not confident then maybe try different bag sand or maybe a lead sled?

I always concentrate most on breathing and trigger squeeze. If I get surprised by the rifle going off I figure I did my job. Bags work, was just wondering if I should be doing something else that's better. Might give a bi-pod and a rear rest a go.

Short bipod, with my left had gripping the rear sling swivel and sling. If I can avoid it I try not to use a bench either, not the case lately though prone hurts with boogered up ribs

Free recoil's the best way, that's what virtually all benchresters use. But we usually don't want our pet (expensive?) rifles sliding off bags or rests from recoil and ending up on the gravel under the bench. So we have to hold on to them. 'Tis easy on 22 and 24 caliber 13 pound benchrest rifles with stocks designed for free recoil and their 2 ounce triggers. Never happen with conventional sporting and hunting stocks and a 2 to 3 pound trigger on a 9 pound 30 caliber magnum.

Few people can hold a medium (much less heavy) recoiling rifle the same way for each shot when it's resting atop something on a bench top and the butt's pulled hard into their shoulder. Most folks will shoot smaller groups with their ammo if they learn how to sling up in prone with the stock's fore end and toe on bags. There's less body movement pulling the sights of the aiming point while the bullet goes down the barrel this way.

Some folks use machine rests (or accuracy cradles) to hold their rifles so they are fired in free recoil. These require repeatable grip and trigger pull to be repeatable, but they do work.

Free recoil's the best way, that's what virtually all benchresters use. But we usually don't want our pet (expensive?) rifles sliding off bags or rests from recoil and ending up on the gravel under the bench. So we have to hold on to them. 'Tis easy on 22 and 24 caliber 13 pound benchrest rifles with stocks designed for free recoil and their 2 ounce triggers. Never happen with conventional sporting and hunting stocks and a 2 to 3 pound trigger on a 9 pound 30 caliber magnum.

Few people can hold a medium (much less heavy) recoiling rifle the same way for each shot when it's resting atop something on a bench top and the butt's pulled hard into their shoulder. Most folks will shoot smaller groups with their ammo if they learn how to sling up in prone with the stock's fore end and toe on bags. There's less body movement pulling the sights of the aiming point while the bullet goes down the barrel this way.

Some folks use machine rests (or accuracy cradles) to hold their rifles so they are fired in free recoil. These require repeatable grip and trigger pull to be repeatable, but they do work.

So it sounds like, find a good repeatable rest, shoulder the boom stick, breath, good trigger pull, good follow through, and spend time with a good stable load and learning what it does in different conditions.

More range time. Wife is going to love that. Thanks for advice everyone. See ya at the range.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts