Your Accuracy load

Greg Duerr

Im curious about all of you that have worked up your pet load for any of your rifles. How far off is your bullet from the lands.
I did fiind a bullet for my .243 AI that I can seat into the lands its the 90gr. Nosler Ballistic tip............So I'm real curious about how far off your accuracy loads are from the Lands, weather they are touching or not.....................

I realized that when I loaded the 95gr bergers I was seating them way way off in order to get some bullet hold from the necks.............Im guessing but .100 or more..............
If your that far off that would have a big affect on your group size .....................??

Greg

my rifle also likes the bullet on the lands. But, for hunting loads I seat them to sami oal and crimp.
My pet 100 yrd bench load is 150 grn sp over 45.0 grn IMR3031, standard primer and the bullet just barely seated in the neck. MV 2780fps. The brass is neck sised and not crimped of course. When I chamber this round the bullet is pushed into the neck by the lands .
I have also used 140 grn sp with the same recipe and had good accuacy but, I prefere the 150's.
I have used 162 grn amax and the best I can get with them is 2" groups at 100 yrds so, I have no plans on buying more.
I also have some 175 grn sp's that I have yet to try,( I have used winchester 175 grn factory loads and like them ) So, Iam hopeing on good results with the 175's and RL22.
This is a 7mm rem mag, constant 5 shot 1 holer with the 150's and imr3031.
For hunting I use 150 grn ETIPS over 67.0 grn IMR7828, Mag primer, FL sised and seated to spec. A 3 shot group is covered by a quarter at 100 yrds. MV 3050fps.

I don't target shoot except for practice I hunt so with all my rifles the load has to fit the mag. Today am working with a Mdl 70 using 190gr Berger's and had to start .070 off. The group tightened up at .110 off and today will shoot a couple sets .120 and .130 off to take a closer look.

With all mine I've found that it varies from rifle to rifle, and it also varies from 1 load to another, in the same rifle. For example, my .308 loves the 168 and 175's sitting at SAAMI specs. But it absolutely LOVES the 210gr Berger VLD's sitting up against the lands. So, it just varies. I wish there was a better more accurate answer for you. You'll just have to play around with different COL's once you find a good powder charge that your gun likes.

"With all mine I've found that it varies from rifle to rifle, and it also varies from 1 load to another, in the same rifle."

Ditto. Asking about any part of my "accuracy load" is virtually meaningless to anyone else unless they want to do some reloading for my rifles.

"With all mine I've found that it varies from rifle to rifle, and it also varies from 1 load to another, in the same rifle."

Ditto. Asking about any part of my "accuracy load" is virtually meaningless to anyone else unless they want to do some reloading for my rifles.

+1.... you may find a trend, but every rifle is a law unto itself. I typically won't run a load unless it fits my mag.. I do prefer a more overbore round to have at least a bit of run at the rifling anyway as it smoothes out peak pressures a bit.

My most accurate rifles.
2, 6.5x284's, 140 VLD, ,075" off the lands
300WM, 210VLD, .010" off lands
260 Rem, 142SMK, .025" off lands, 140VLD, at the lands.
338Lapua, 300grBerger, .020" off lands
6mmAR, 107SMK, .020" off lands.
I have several other rifles that are loaded to SAAMI specs and have no problem getting .5MOA or better. These are 308's, 223's, 30-06's, 270WSM, 22-250,. Prior to getting into loading VLD's, I never paid much attention to seating depth other than consistency. I optimized by changing bullets and powders. I was generally limited by magazine length with most of my rifles back then.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts