Shooting mat

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I've decided that I need to invest in a good shooting mat.

The deal is, I don't really need all the features of the tactical mats. I don't plan on dragging this thing around in the field when hunting. I think I can tough it out for a shot or two. The only time I'll use it will be @ the range or @ various shooting competitions where I have to shoot prone.

Should I just make one myself of does someone offer something like I'm looking for??

Thanks,
B.J.

Been looking for the same thing/

Haven't had any luck.

I'm after a combination drag bag/shooting mat to transport the rig on the 2 man/2 wheel game cart to get to the LR shooting spots.

Looks like me and the local canvas shop will be working on a project one of these first days.

But, like you, I'm open to suggestions.

Couple of options

While Lerch is gone you should go over to his house and get the Hall Runner. If he doeesn't have one then just go into the living room and cut a 7 foot by three foot rectangle out of his carpet.

Second option is a closed cell foam sleeping bag pad. Thermarest makes one that accordion folds. Disadvantage is that sharp sticks etc will poke through it. Advantage is it is very light. Other thing is it doesn't get soggy like cloth. In case it is not obvius, I hate sitting or laying on wet ground (or cold for that matter). Here is one of mine on the backpack.

375874.JPG

Here it is set up for a Potomac River elk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

360584.JPG

I have been using a yoga mat from Wal-Mart. Like has already been mentioned, it may not be as durable as a tactical drag mat, I can buy a lot of $6 yoga mats before I can buy a drag bag.

As a coyote hunter, i am often out all day hunting them. When i'm calling i use a soft-sided closed cell foam stadium seat, that buckles in the middle, and allows me to sit comfortably while calling for 30 minutes if i need to (and provides excellent back support from a tall Harris bipod, as well). Nice thing about it is that if u unbuckle it, it becomes a cheap shooting mat, that's great for that application. U can buy these a KWal-mart for 5-10 bucks when they're on sale/clearanced. Find some extra foam to slip into the seat side if u wanna for extra sitting/laying comfort.

I have one of the mats made by Competition Edge Dynamics and it works pretty good, and it is comfortable to lay on.

The only things I have to complain about is the flap they have that rolls out in front of the map is too short for the guns that we shoot. Second, the "grippy" part of the mat gets really freaking hot in the sun since it is black. It will get so hot that unless you have something to protect your elbows they will feel like they are being burned. If you put a light colored towel down for your elbows it is perfect.

Here is a picture of my shooting mat that I bought from Green Mountain Tactical. The mat is made by Eagle. I made a few improvements to it as you can see. I sewed two additional panels on that fold out when fully deployed, and fold in when used as a carry case. I also added an elastic shell holder to keep a few close by.

I could not find a mat that was wide enough to accomodate my elbows, so I picked the one I liked the best and customized it. [image]
20as5ky.jpg
[/image] [image]
20at9ue.jpg
[/image]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.