Drag Bag/shooting Mat /pack-wanted ??

Down Under Hunter

Hello all,

I'm looking for a drag bag/ rifle case that combos as a shooting mat and has a harness system for packing. The trick is it has to suit a rifle at 54 " long ?? I want something well built and tough. What are everyones suggestions. I have seen the TAC Operations one, but it aint long enough ??

Cheers

TacOps makes two versions. I happen to have the long one at home.

I can measure it this evening. PM me if I forget.

The HSRC will only fit rifles up to 46" and his rifle is 54". If you chose to go the route of the HSRC style mat, you should also consider the Galati (48"). It's about $100 cheaper .... neither will fit your rifle. The Eagle is US made and I don't believe the Galati is .... but being in Australia you probably don't care about that :)

Galati Gear Deluxe Shooters Mat

Last edited:
I recently purchased the following 62" bag through Dillon Precision, and am happy with it. It's padded, and has 3 internal hook-and-loop straps to secure your rifle. On the outside, it's got two pockets (they say 3, but two share the same space), plenty of loops, and pack straps. The pack straps can be tucked inside a hook-and-loop flap for snag-free dragging. Since the bag is padded all around, it could also be used as a makeshift mat - but to be honest, I only used it to sit on while glassing. I'm happy to lay in a mud puddle if I'm fixing to shoot a critter! :)

http://http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24632/catid/19/TAC_FORCE_62_quot__O_D__Green

I hauled mine through mud, rain, and snow for a week on a recent hunting trip. The bag worked great. The only problem I had is it's not water-proof, and I didn't apply any repellent sprays or anything prior to the trip. On the bright side, I was able to fit drop charts, a range finder, spotting scope and tripod, weather station, binoculars, ammunition, rain gear, and a few other small items into the bag. All of my gear came out unscathed, which is all that really counts in my book.

hth,
Brian

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys !!

I checked out the Dillon precision one and it looks fairly nice. The only thing that I would like is it to deliberatley open into a shooting mat ?? Not sure it does ?

The tac Ops one would be good, but I dont think its long enough. I think it only goes to 52 " ??

No point buying one that is short for the job.

If anything else comes to mind let me know.

Thanks all.

Cheers

The only thing that I would like is it to deliberatley open into a shooting mat ?? Not sure it does ?
Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "shooting mat" - it's definitely not a "roll-up" affair, but I personally think it works just fine. I took a quick picture with my cell phone to show it opened up. For reference, the cleaning rod sitting on top is a 60" rod (not including the handle).

Photo_102607_004.jpg

D U H

I recently borrowed this system at a Sniper Competition in Europe.

It is a Drag Bag, which fastens together by way of clips and zips, but opens out into a purpose built shooting mat when unfolded.

The Drag Bag contained mt AI AW with 5-25 S&B PM11, spare magazines, 100 rounds of 308 in MTM boxes, digital camera, first aid kit etc etc with loads of space to spare. It has both rucksac and carry handle strap and was very functional and durable to use.

DSCN0250.jpg

I don't think they are available outside Europe as the maker is from the Czech Republic, however, I can put you in contact with gent I borrowed it from as I think he has the contact details of the supplier.

Sorry, its the only photo I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.