More stable shooting bench or mat?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by WEATHERBY460, Apr 3, 2011.

1. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460 Well-Known Member

I have a cabelas shooting bench with a caldwell lead sled.....will a shooting mat from like midway with a harris bipod be more accurate?

When i look thru my scope i see my target sway front to back...not sure whats causing that?

2. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

No it wont, and it might be harder for you. After you do load work, you should shoot rifle the way that you intend to in the field. I f that is with a bipod, then site in and practice that way.

3. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460 Well-Known Member

tttt

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

There are very few benches that don't move. I have video off a concrete bench with channel iron legs poored into concrete that shows the bench move durring recoil. Most light weight protable benches are weak and wobbly. Now I am not saying the ground in the best for all instances, but I will say it is better than any portable bench as far as I am concerned.

I do all my load work, sight in and practice prone of a bipod and a good rear bag. Two days ago I put 5 into a .446" group at 200. I advise any hunter to learn to shoot prone off a bipod and rear bag and practice it.

You may find this interesting.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/importance-being-solid-91149/

PS: I strongly recommend you keep all mats out from under the bipod and the rear bag. I choose to just get dirty.

Jeff

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Half a sheet of 3/4 plywood (full length 2'-30" wide) setting on a 2x4 Frame makes for a very stable, and easily portable prone shooting base set up on flat ground.

You can set up your lead sled, or you can bag the front end or use a bipod, and use a rear bag or monopod.

I've also seen similar rigs just set up across the bed of a pickup for a long range shooting platform.

6. Fla shooter

Fla shooter Well-Known Member

Ditto Broz