Setting up the Kiddo

Did you ever make a purchase?
I looked into a small chassis for a lightweight bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel, but how do I feed it? No aics mags in 6.5G. I have an AR in the Grendel, but would like a bolt gun.
Sure did! No need for 6.5 G specific mags. .224 Valkyrie etc...work 5.0!

Hey all, since there've been questions...we did a chassis build. Went with a Ruger Am Pred 6.5 Grendel donor rifle that I got "barely" used for $400. Dropped that in an MDT LSS-XL chassis with a AR buffer tube interface. Used the Luth AR buttstock and voila. Instant rifle that adjusts down to 12" (less actually!) LOP and can stretch over 16". Fully adjustable. Wearing a Meopta Optika 5 3.5-14x44 scope. Weight is right at 10 pounds. Should be suuuuper easy shooting. Lousy pic, but you get the point. All in at right around 1000 and anyone can shoot it size wise.

Attachments

• DC034E3F-461F-4D86-9BB2-724E288529A5.jpeg
    DC034E3F-461F-4D86-9BB2-724E288529A5.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 35
I bought 243's model 70's had muzzle brakes been available I might have bough them something else. If she is into shooting get something life lasting.

My son has taken a buck at both 8 and 9 (last weekend actually) using an AR in 6.8SPC and it has been a fantastic choice for his first deer ventures; sitting with me. The adjustment on the stock, minimal recoil, little blast (suppressor), short/easy handling in a blind, scope with illuminated dot, have all made it an ideal setup for a kids first deer hunt.

However, I am thinking about what his first deer rifle should be and it will be a bolt. The AR is perfect while he is in my immediate presence or sitting in my lap, shooting from a blind, but I won't let an AR be his first rifle due to the simplicity of a bolt.

I am considering various 6mm, 6.5, and 7mm setups in a bolt rifle for his first gun. Personally, I really like the 6MM CM but there are not a lot of factory setups for a youth hunter yet. I'm watching this thread to see what else is discussed.

Ok all...My daughter is 10. She's been shooting for about 5 years, almost exclusively rimfire. (.17 and .22). She has put about 30 rounds through a light (5#) .410 with 13/16ths TSS with three dead turkeys and no issues. It's deer time. Her measured LoP is Right around 12.5"...

She's interested in shooting, but not yet obsessed. In looking at her first center fire rifle, I'm thinking 6.5 Grendel or .243. I have contemplated the AR platform but am leaning towards a bolt gun. I really do like the east LoP adjustment afforded by the AR though. Stumbled across the Howa Mini EXCL platform here:

Seems an interesting solution. Any first hand experience? Am I overthinking this and I should just get her a Savage Axis II compact and move on?

Love to hear the feedback. Thanks.
You will never go wrong with the Howas'. One of the most accurate out of the box factory rifles you'll ever own!

Ok all...My daughter is 10. She's been shooting for about 5 years, almost exclusively rimfire. (.17 and .22). She has put about 30 rounds through a light (5#) .410 with 13/16ths TSS with three dead turkeys and no issues. It's deer time. Her measured LoP is Right around 12.5"...

She's interested in shooting, but not yet obsessed. In looking at her first center fire rifle, I'm thinking 6.5 Grendel or .243. I have contemplated the AR platform but am leaning towards a bolt gun. I really do like the east LoP adjustment afforded by the AR though. Stumbled across the Howa Mini EXCL platform here:

Seems an interesting solution. Any first hand experience? Am I overthinking this and I should just get her a Savage Axis II compact and move on?

Love to hear the feedback. Thanks.
I went through this with both kids of mine. My daughter is small with short arms. My boy is a little bigger, but not so tough when it comes to recoil. After the 22 rimfire training, they both moved on to 223 Rem. I have single shot with a youth stock and also a Ruger american with a youth stock. Each kid started one of those. My daughter graduated fairly quickly to a Ruger american 450 Bushmaster with youth stock. After several years and one bad range session, she got scared of it, and I switched her to a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor that she loves. After one season on the Ruger bolt 223, my boy graduated to a ruger american 6.5 Creedmoor this year.

My biggest advice is gun fit, recoil mitigation, noise mitigation. Caliber is basically irrelevant when shooting a whitetail under 100 yards. All the cartridges will kill them fine if the kid can hit them in the pocket. Both my kids required stock risers to get their eye lined up with the scope. This helps immensely when trying to find the critter in the scope. Both their current guns have muzzle brakes on them. The 223 youth stock I loaded with lead shot to add 3# to the gun. Dad carried it to the stand and they always shoot off a rest, so weight is irrelevant to them. But helps steady the gun and take up a lot of recoil. I swapped that same stock to the 450 when my daughter was using it. Never a problem in the field on over 12 deer, but one range session without the lead sled and she got scared. I immediately switched guns for her. Both kids were ear muffs on every shot in the field, and plugs and muffs at the range. My kids flinch like crazy at the sound. I make them dry fire before each range session, until they can do 5 or more without flinching from the click, before I put in a live round. Other guys shooting make them flinch. So they have to be hanging around a little to get acclimated first. I started both on 12.5" stocks. Both shoot regular guns now. The ruger american platform is pretty cheap, plenty accurate, and the stocks swap back and forth easy enough. I am actually done with the heavy 12.5" stock if you want to use it.
Both my kids out shoot 90%+ of the guys at the range. My daughter has 18 or 20 deer under her belt at 16 years old and this year barely hunted due to my injury.
My boy was 4 for 4 last year with the 223 and 1 for 1 this year with the creedmoor.
Dont let them get scared and make sure it fits them. They will grow up soon enough, buy the short stock for them and the light caliber if needed. Makes them confident and deadly!

I'm in the same position with my 6yo son. He shoots my AR fine and he has a single shot 22 hornet also. But I dont consider either to be his future hunting or training tool.

I first bought "him" a suppressor, my first one. It's still in jail, but I don't want him to share my hearing problems so I consider it a very sound investment.

I also snagged a savage 12 action, slapped a titanium bolt handle, carbon knob and 16.5" 6.5 creedmoor barrel on it. It shoots nice little 3/8" triangles. I ordered an MDT LSS for it this morning.

It may be a little much for him right now, but you can always load down. And 106gr scenars have already proven quite effective on game.

It's clear that there are many ways to skin this cat, but that's the rout I took.

Steve

I'm basically in the same boat have 2 kids 9 and 10 that are ready for center fire rifles. I'm getting there's built in a 6 creed that will have a suppressor. I reload and will keep the pressures minimal to keep recoil down.

I ordered a Masterpiece Arm youth chassis so I can fit the rifle to them.

Recoil for this setup should be around 5 to 6lbs according to my reloading program woth a 10lb ish rifle. But the program doesn't take suppressor into account when calculating recoil so it should be even less

Well, I've gotten both of my boys into the game. I started them out with a TC hotshot 22lr break open, then to my 5.56 ar. They then went to my Winchester Coyote in 25wssm; with the heavy barrel and 32x scope they didn't get beat up and could see their hits on paper to 200yards or better. For hunting, my brother tossed a Ruger American 6.5 creed into the mix.
My eldest son used it for a spell and took a deer with it. He's since moved to a 7rem, and now He's running a Savage Impulse in 300win. He took his buck this fall with my Rem. lr in 300rum before we got the Savage.
My youngest son got glasses just months before youth season, and he kept getting beat up by the rifle stock. I cured that by putting him on my Savage Striker pistol in 7-08. It took a couple hundred rounds downrange and a Harris Bipod, but he ended up downing a doe at 250 yards with 1 shot this last fall. I believe this coming fall he'll be on the 7mag, albeit with a higher mag. scope.

made tons of mistakes with my first child and his first rifle but finally got it right for my daughter. Savage Youth 7mm-08, triad tactical cheek pad, new trigger and bedded by my friend Dan Glover of Dans Custom Guns. Load it up with some Barnes 140's and a light load--similar to Hdy Reduce Recoil loads. It kills everything she shoots, plenty of factory ammo available as needed. Put a good piece of glass on it--Trijicon is a great set up for down here in SC. Never have looked back from this setup, she can grow into as needed. Spot on accurate, easy recoil, light weight, plenty of load options and budget friendly. As others have said, great job getting the kids out to enjoy this wonderful sport!!

What cheek risers and cheek pads are you guys using?
I just grabbed some generic black plastic one from cabelas. It adds an inch. They have other sizes. Its suppose to clamp/ snap over, but doesn't stay, so I tape it to the stock and cover the whole mess with mole skin. I even took a marker and outlined my kids face when they had a perfect scope picture. Then while in the field, I could quickly assess if they were lined up properly on the scope. Works like a charm really.
My boy just needed the 1". My daughter needed the 1" plus a couple wash cloths folded up to get another half or more. Tiny little face. Once I did this, both kids shooting improved a lot. They light up when they are pounding bulls eyes at the range.

Triad Tactical have been great for us. I think it gets them better scope alignment and seems to help with felt recoil. With or without the zipper, have both versions. Kids thought the pocket was kind of cool, works great for a extra rounds, suppressor paper work or a piece of candy...all potential critical elements on a youth hunt! :)

First five rounds through the kiddos rifle. 100 yards, Nosler 123 gr BTHP factory loads. To say I'm pleased is an understatement. Then shortened it 3 inches, handed it to the kid and she had a great first experience.

Great way to go guys.

Attachments

• 52F6F42F-528A-4438-871F-10627046DC52.jpeg
    52F6F42F-528A-4438-871F-10627046DC52.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14