Setting up the Kiddo

scoober78

Ok all...My daughter is 10. She's been shooting for about 5 years, almost exclusively rimfire. (.17 and .22). She has put about 30 rounds through a light (5#) .410 with 13/16ths TSS with three dead turkeys and no issues. It's deer time. Her measured LoP is Right around 12.5"...

She's interested in shooting, but not yet obsessed. In looking at her first center fire rifle, I'm thinking 6.5 Grendel or .243. I have contemplated the AR platform but am leaning towards a bolt gun. I really do like the east LoP adjustment afforded by the AR though. Stumbled across the Howa Mini EXCL platform here:

Seems an interesting solution. Any first hand experience? Am I overthinking this and I should just get her a Savage Axis II compact and move on?

Love to hear the feedback. Thanks.

Seems like it would be a good set up, assuming it is actually adjustable down to a 12" LOP. From the one in that article, I'm not sure how it would, the stock looked like it was fully collapsed, and the LOP looked pretty long to me. I would just confirm that, but if it does, that would be great in 6.5 Grendel, and would grow with her.

Have you looked at sig cross? I really think thats going to be my next one for my girl who's ten.

If you go the bolt gun route take a look at this stock from Boyd's: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/at-one

You can select your firearm of choice from most manufactures and chambering and put this stock on it and you are good to go for a long time.

I have found it to work really well on youth guns. There are also several color options that you can pick which is nice. The AR platforms are great as well, however they can quickly become heavy and a little awkward to use for individuals who don't spend a lot of time with them.

My 9 year old is set in the continued use of the AR platform for deer this year. We are building a 6 ARC for her. Low recoil, plenty of velocity and energy out to 300 yards for deer and the slow recoil impulse along with the adjustability of the AR platform makes it easy to shoot for her.

Did you ever make a purchase?
I looked into a small chassis for a lightweight bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel, but how do I feed it? No aics mags in 6.5G. I have an AR in the Grendel, but would like a bolt gun.

I'm going to be in the same situation with my son in two years and a leaning towards a suppressed 6.5 creedmore. Without suppression I would probably just stick with a 243. I want to get a chassis so I can use an adjustable stock. I'm leaning towards one of the MDT chassis and then setting it up to attach to a tripod.

I have two young boys that are becoming great deer hunters. No manufacturer makes a good rifle for kids. Youth rifles are way too long in the stock. I spent 5 years and 10's of thousands trying to find the right solution. Here is a little bit of what I learned.

6.5 CM has 13 ish lbs of recoil.

243/6 CM has 7

Kids don't like recoil at all.
A tripod mount makes them being able to shoot 100 times easier. You can go cheap with a bog pod and the sky is the limit from there. We use RRS.

The best solution I have found? Remington CP rebarrled to 6CM. My 2 boys 4.5 and 9 years old are 9 for 9 with that setup. My 4.5 year old killed his first two at 140 and 197 yards. The first on video because I knew some naysayer would claim I shot I them.

I do have a Howa Mini Chasis 6.5 Grendel that I am selling as I bought it before I discovered the Remington CP. I have not shot it but to shorten the stock I simply replaced the one that came with it with a AR Pistol Brace.

Even though I divorced bolt.guns over ARs for most everything, I think that the AR is. Better choice. The lightweight nature of bolt guns that are configured for small frame people make them easy to carry, but they also make them jumpy and snappy on the recoil. Since you or another adult will likely be with her and likely able to carry the rifle for her, I would lean toward the weight and recoil mitigation that an AR offer. It will make for a much better shooting experience for her. Good on you for getting her involved in the sport.

If you think she will keep at it for hunting throughout the years, don't go too cheap if you have the budget.

I built both my girls semi-customs, and they both still shoot them today. One for 21 years now (.250 AI), and one for 10 years (6.5SLR-which is on it's second barrel after 2800rds shot out the first).

You could build a 6.5CM or 6.5x47L and load it down with a 100-120gr bullet and a light charge, and do very well with it, but gives a lot of room to grow.

Manners makes the MCS-CS stock, which has adjustable LOP.

I'm going to be in the same situation with my son in two years and a leaning towards a suppressed 6.5 creedmore. Without suppression I would probably just stick with a 243. I want to get a chassis so I can use an adjustable stock. I'm leaning towards one of the MDT chassis and then setting it up to attach to a tripod.
Split the difference with a 6 creed suppressed. Purrs like a kitten.