tripod set up

huffsd

Shooting a rifle using a tripod as a rest "tripod set up"

I have been looking into ditching the bi-pod and going the 3 legged rout. The set up Len is endorsing looks sweet especially when you ad the rear leg up to the butt.

I'm wanting to get some info on some of the rests people are attaching and your preferences as to why.

The Ultrec shooting stick "V style cradle"
Vrest.jpg

Tripod Head from"Precision Rifles DCLW" This one actually clamps securely
dclw.jpg

home made style
tripodrest1.jpg

What are the pros and cons of each set up?

Last edited:
If you are looking for something extreemly light weight, extreemly compact and super simple that works try the one by Outdoorsman. I have been barrowing on from a buddy and just picked up my own. I have tried the bog pod and the simple "V" from stoney point in the picture but the Outdoorsmans works and supports the entire gun. Just Google "outdoorsmans"

That looks sweet. With that, would the rear "POLECAT" thing be needed? What is the basic rule of thumb? Is is better to let the rifle recoil freely resting on top of the rest? I have heard that having the rest secured to the stock plays havoc on repeatability. And the taller the legs of a secured rest, the wost it gets. Difference between a super low mounted Harris bench top bi bod vs the crazy 3 segmented Harris field model.

Am i on the right track? Or is this one of those things like bullet seating depth? Every rifle is different.

I have made kills with this set up to 540 yards. The rest has a lining over the metal and I have not experianced any noticable accuracy differences or jump in both 25-06 and .300 Wby. I have also use a velcro stap to secure it (not tight) without issue. That being said its not a bench rest but feild expediant rest. The additional rest such as the Stoney point would help. Outdoorsmans offers again the best system with their tripods but they are spendy. This rest is well worth it from my experiance. Going prone on a pack is just not always an option and this gives you the elevation you are looking for without packing around an attatched bipod.

Good input. Thank you.

I can definitely see the benefits of not having the rifle securely fixed to 3 long legs. I have been out calling coyotes while using the long Harris in the kneeling position so I could use sage as cover. I would be looking out panning for dogs in the distance see one hold up just out of range. The dang things just sit down and look at me. I'm thinking, dam he made me again! These things are getting too smart to hunt! But what I discovered was they had no clue I was there. They were watching the 1 or 2 dogs coming in down wind and now just in my per-ref-re-al "BlackBerry spell check not so good". Vision. Besides them being too close now for my parrallax adjustment, my bipod gets caught up or snagged on every tumble weed or sage bush it can as I swing down on them. Talk about blowing it.

I fixed the parrallax issue with a 4min micro dot on top of the scope for anything close.

Now it looks like the field rest thing may be sorted out.

Geez, with no more excuses left, I might have to learn how to shoot straight.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.