Serious long range varmint benches

I built 3 of these in my garage, they are awesome, but weigh a bunch, It is a design I modified from Richard;s Custom Rifles. With the turnbuckle adjustment for top, it makes for very little fussing with your rests once you are set-up.
https://richardscustomrifles.com/products his site, plan's for sale there

View attachment 173201View attachment 173203
I built 3 of these in my garage, they are awesome, but weigh a bunch, It is a design I modified from Richard;s Custom Rifles. With the turnbuckle adjustment for top, it makes for very little fussing with your rests once you are set-up.
https://richardscustomrifles.com/products his site, plan's for sale there

View attachment 173201View attachment 173203

Nice looking bench.

Is it steel or aluminum?

Does the rotating area have a bearing?

Not counting the extended legs, how many pieces does it break down to?

Steel, if you have the ability and equipment to weld aluminum, them you would really have something (that you could sell)! Pieces, well, three legs, the main stand with the inside tube, the seat, the bracket for the seat and the top which I leave the outside tube connected to. The entire bench rotates on just the 2 same sized cut pipe sections. No bearings. I have the inside pipe painted in graphite paint and originally the 2 cut ends of pipe that meet to rotate. I am sure that paint is long gone from those 2 rotating surfaces, but I never have had the need to lube them. I would say if you made this design out of aluminmum, they would be the best varmint shootin bench available, but the WEIGHT of these steel ones is the only draw back (and you will have to build or have them built).

If anyone is in NW Iowa or NW SD when we are on our annual PD shoot mid June, you can sure give them a test drive! The seat bracket can be put any height or poistion to the top and I have 3 seat positions on my seat bracket. I could get detailed pics to anyone who want them....once I take some! We do take our PD shooting somewhat serious, We pull a little single axle enclosed trailer that I customised around the broken-down benches.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.