Another Long Range Varmint round

Sounds like your 204 is toast, barrels are like tires on a vehicle, replaceable. Do your own research on twist, seems to be controversial at times. Go zero free bore.
I prefer a bit faster twist as long as it isn't hard on bullets. Faster twist seems to give more splat factor on small vermin.
On the 6 Dasher, I don't own one. Buddy built one last year. It is crazy accurate, over and above any of the half dozen 6BR's we fool with.
Hate to say this, can't wait till my 6BR does what your 204 did so I can get a new barrel.

I have actually started looking in to this. I think I can just neck up .204 brass and I'd be good to go. Its shame this round has disappeared because I think it has roughly the same case capacity as the Valkryie. Its a bolt gun so I dont see much reason to go with the Valkyrie given that its designed to fit bigger bullets in a standard Magazine.
I think I might start with having a smith cut a new chamber and crown and try to get one more season out it but I am definitely taking a hard look at either a 22 dasher or 6 Dasher at this point.
I believe you are correct about the necking up part. Also the .222 mag was the original cartridge that the .223 was derived from. I'd love to see this round come back, but I think the 22 Nosler is pretty much the killer of that. Of course, the trusty old original .222 rem is still near and dear to me, and I'll keep shooting my little rathole groups with her until I'm gone. She was my very first center fire rifle and I have taught many many youngsters to shoot with her. I can't tell you how many tons of meat she has put in the cooler, but I can say that once you have a .222, you'll never want to get rid of it. Good luck with your build, and let me know how it turns out. Shoot straight and enjoy.

Last edited:
I agree, the .222 mag was the original cartridge that the .223 was derived from. I'd love to see this round come back, but I think the 22 Nosler is pretty much the killer of that. Of course, the trusty old original .222 rem is still near and dear to me, and I'll keep shooting my little rathole groups with her until I'm gone. She was my very first center fire rifle and I have taught many many youngsters to shoot with her. I can't tell you how many tons of meat she has put in the cooler, but I can say that once you have a .222, you'll never want to get rid of it. Good luck with your build, and let me know how it turns out. Shoot straight and enjoy.

Do you have a stockpile of brass for it or do you just neck up 204 brass? I think I am going to go with a Dasher. Maybe it won't be the flattest shooting round but efficient and accurate is my main concern and I like spinning turrets anyway. I wish the timing was a little better as our big varmint trip is in April and the lead times for a barrel swap look to be a bit extensive.

Do you have a stockpile of brass for it or do you just neck up 204 brass? I think I am going to go with a Dasher. Maybe it won't be the flattest shooting round but efficient and accurate is my main concern and I like spinning turrets anyway. I wish the timing was a little better as our big varmint trip is in April and the lead times for a barrel swap look to be a bit extensive.
Just neck up .204 brass is about the easiest. I haven't looked for .222 mag brass in quite some time. It's not a common round, so it might actually be in stock somewhere.

Since you want to reach out to 800+ yards, the 20s ,I don't believe , will be the answer. I KNOW the 6 Creedmoor and 6 Dasher will. For two years now, the Armagetin (sic) tournament has the top 10 (or more) shooters using nothing but 6 mm cartridges. They shoot to , I believe, 1200 yds.This year, it was the Dasher that most shot. I have the Creedmoor in several rifles and love it. I can also shoot factory ammo in it but you can't, yet, in the Dasher. Both are VERY accurate!

I have a Savage BVSS 25-06 that I put a Nightforce NX8 4-32 scope on. Load development has produced bug holes at 3045fps with Berger 115g VLDs. I will use this rifle on chucks beyond 500 yards or 350 yards if there is a heavy crosswind. Under 500 and out to 600 with no wind I have a pair of 223s with fast twist barrels that shoot 75 and 77 gain bullets with 1/4 moa accuracy. I expect the 25-06 to reach out to 1000 yards with great results. Time will tell.

Since you want to reach out to 800+ yards, the 20s ,I don't believe , will be the answer.
Don't discount the 55 Berger in a 20BR, 20BRAI, 20-250 or 20 Dasher doing 3750fps+ at 800 yards.
I know some who have killed P.D.at 1,000 yards with them and 1 guy who's shot 4" groups in competition at 1,000

22 creedmoor hands down 1&8 twist 80.5 berger. 3320 fps

Attachments

• 20201018_174740.jpg
    20201018_174740.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.