Long range Varmint gun

KPB71

Looking for a long range varmint gun out to 600 to 1000yrds 6.5 CM or 6.5-284 shooting the 140gr bullet any other suggestions or caliber. Thx

Another option is a fast twist .22 cal. in 22x47 L, 22-250 imp. or a 22-6mm and 22-6mm imp or a 22-243 and 22-243 imp. using the 80 gr. bullets. The 243 AI or 6mmx284 type cartridges would work well also.
Joe

Another option is a fast twist .22 cal. in 22x47 L, 22-250 imp. or a 22-6mm and 22-6mm imp or a 22-243 and 22-243 imp. using the 80 gr. bullets. The 243 AI or 6mmx284 type cartridges would work well also.
Joe

Now Drags, i thought for sure you'd be raising you hand for the .264 lol.

I went with a 7 Rem mag. Shooting 180 gr Berger HVLD's I've taken piles of marmots at long range, with 6 or 7 past 3/4 mile the past two years, the longest being 1402 yards. The next barrel on this rifle will be set up for the 195 gr Berger.

I went with a 7 Rem mag. Shooting 180 gr Berger HVLD's I've taken piles of marmots at long range, with 6 or 7 past 3/4 mile the past two years, the longest being 1402 yards. The next barrel on this rifle will be set up for the 195 gr Berger.

Hi Brad, when you go with the 195 Berger will you still use the 7mm Rem.Mag? I really enjoy reading your posts both big game and varmint hunting, I think it is rare to have a combination of being a good hunter and good rifleman and you sure fill the bill. Do you also hunt deer at long range? We you have some time it would be interesting to have a thread (by you) on how you go about setting up your hunts and the equipment you use.
Joe

I'll confer with my 'smith about what case to use when the time comes. I am thinking 28 Nosler or the STW case. A lot will depend on the quality of brass available.

I have not done much deer hunting the past couple decades, just a few taken with a bow. I much prefer to eat elk over deer, so pretty much quit hunting them long ago.

That said, I've built up enough points for deer to start applying in units that have trophy potential.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.