Selling stuff to purchase LRH rifle

I did this twice last year.. One with a Tikka Action and one with a Bighorn Origin. Both actions have their positives and negatives, I certainly like the Origin as it is a touch smoother, as well as the trigger (triggertech special) is much better than a Tikka with Mcarbo spring. Keep in mind, if you do a traditional stock on the Origin rather than a chassis, you will be adding at least $100-$200 for bottom metal. You'll notice you are above $2k for each offering and only you can decide if you want to justify the additional $$ to get into the custom action game. If I were to do it again, I would do the Bighorn Origin again but YMMV.

Here are the cost breakdowns of each:

Tikka Action Stainless/Fluted bolt/Bottom Metal/Mcarbo Spring - $800
Proof PreFit- $900
Mesa Altitude Stock- $625
20 moa Pic Rail- $50

Total: $2375

Bighorn Origin- $1000
TriggerTech Special- $200
Proof Prefit- $900
MPA UltraLite Chassis- $750
M5 Magazine- $85

Total: $2935

Last edited:
Well didn't take long but my HK usp9 and Yugo SKS are sold, so has my chainsaw. Now I just need to get my hands on a new rifle. Deciding to wait for seekins to put out an Element in 7 PRC before making the final decision but I think that is what I've settled on.

Just checked they are still 2499 but out of stock and come in short action only it looked like. I'm looking for a 7mm prc
I'd guess about 3400 would be as cheap as you could build a good custom 7 PRC. I can't buy the parts to build what they sell for 2500. The bed job would be 250-300.
Good luck & best wishes. If you are happy, that's all that matters. The Seekins you are looking at is good quality. They take pride in thier craft.

Haha everyone has a Tikka now too! But I can also see why! I'm fortunate to have one of each. My Seekins PH2 in 300 Win shoots wonderfully and is probably the nicest rifle I own; but I think my T3x in 260 Rem is my favorite hunting rifle.
My PH2 300 win is absolutely amazing. Even the 24 dollar Norma ammo shoots sub-moa out of it. I just wish they could come in shorter barrels. Might end up getting the Element just for the 22 inch barrel and selling the PH2.

I did this twice last year.. One with a Tikka Action and one with a Bighorn Origin. Both actions have their positives and negatives, I certainly like the Origin as it is a touch smoother, as well as the trigger (triggertech special) is much better than a Tikka with Mcarbo spring. Keep in mind, if you do a traditional stock on the Origin rather than a chassis, you will be adding at least $100-$200 for bottom metal. You'll notice you are above $2k for each offering and only you can decide if you want to justify the additional $$ to get into the custom action game. If I were to do it again, I would do the Bighorn Origin again but YMMV.

Here are the cost breakdowns of each:

Tikka Action Stainless/Fluted bolt/Bottom Metal/Mcarbo Spring - $800
Proof PreFit- $900
Mesa Altitude Stock- $625
20 moa Pic Rail- $50

Total: $2375

Bighorn Origin- $1000
TriggerTech Special- $200
Proof Prefit- $900
MPA UltraLite Chassis- $750
M5 Magazine- $85

Total: $2935

Curious as to what are the cons of an origin action?

Curious as to what are the cons of an origin action?
Pros: DIY,700 Stocks,mounts and triggers,pinned mounts,pinned recoil lug....Savage type, floating interchangable bolt head,savage nut prefit barrels or prefit shoulder.With shouldered prefit,very quick bolt and barrel change,if extremely careful, you can leave scope on,don't, breakover bars and scopes should be kept in seperate rooms.
Cons: $$$,****es off your gunsmith. ****es off folks that don't have the skills to change from a .223 to a 25 creedmoor to a 28 nosler

Pros: DIY,700 Stocks,mounts and triggers,pinned mounts,pinned recoil lug....Savage type, floating interchangable bolt head,savage nut prefit barrels or prefit shoulder.With shouldered prefit,very quick bolt and barrel change,if extremely careful, you can leave scope on,don't, breakover bars and scopes should be kept in seperate rooms.
Cons: $$$,****es off your gunsmith. ****es off folks that don't have the skills to change from a .223 to a 25 creedmoor to a 28 nosler

If those are the only cons you can come up with. I dont really see any at all? If you cant install the prefit yourself pay your gunsmith to install and check headspace. It isnt any different from having your smith install a tikka prefit.