Rifle purchase opinions

What did you not like about the factory barrels?

Long throated and impossible to clean. My M700 7 mag copper fouls so badly that after 20 or so shots my accuracy goes straight out the window. I have a Tikka that I have never even cleaned and it shoots 1/2 MOA at all times.

Long throated and impossible to clean. My M700 7 mag copper fouls so badly that after 20 or so shots my accuracy goes straight out the window. I have a Tikka that I have never even cleaned and it shoots 1/2 MOA at all times.

I've never run into that with my M700s or my Model Sevens. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Not trying to be offensive, or sound like a a-hole, but how do you know it's not what you're using that's the problem with cleaning them? Some barrels really need some serious and harsh cleaners to get them cleaned-out...I've seen it with factory barrels of all brands.

Also, once you finally get it cleaned-out, you could always hand-lap the barrel to smooth out some of the tooling marks to help eliminate the copper buildup issue being so bad. If hand-lapping is done right, it will be a positive thing. But it is possible to do it wrong, or go overboard with it, so if you've never done it, have a professional gunsmith do it, and don't ever let anyone at a big box store (cabelas, BPS, F&S, etc...) touch your rifle. They might claim to have a "gunsmith" on staff...Run far, and run fast! And go to a REAL professional gunsmith.

Any barrel that needs lapping after leaving the manufacturer isn't worth lapping.

Good barrels are lapped at the factory by barrel makers , junk barrels that need to be lapped by the end user will be slightly less junky after the work is done.

Mostly work for (or work with, in some circumstances) the company.
If that's the case, he's talking crap about the company that he works for, or with... I've worked for some pretty crappy companies, but while I worked there, I acted like they were they best. It's called not biting the hand that feeds you. Now, once you no longer work there and rely on them for your paycheck, by all means, speak your mind.

I work for the gov and talk crap about them all the time, make me a bad "employee"? Nope :D:D:D
You work for the .gov, you have "tenure" so-to-speak... You have to screw up pretty **** bad to get fired from the .gov... It's like working for the State...Pretty much get caught being drunk or doing drugs on the job, and insubordination, are about the only 3 ways to get fired. You can be as lazy and the worst employee on earth, but as long as you're a yes man, and pass a **** test, you're going to get a paycheck. :rolleyes:

Not at my job brother, I train Infantry Soldiers. I get Soldiers in from all over the planet on a month or bimonthly schedule, we are held to a higher standard.o_O
However the best way to get reprimanded/ relieved/demoted/barred from re-enlistment/ fired/fined/ prosecuted/thrown under the bus is to say or do something offensive in front of the new line of grunts we started getting as of late.

But we digress, back to the topic at hand.

Not at my job brother, I train Infantry Soldiers. However the best way to get reprimanded/ relieved/demoted/barred from re-enlistment/ fired/fined/ prosecuted/thrown under the bus is to say or do something offensive in front of the new line of grunts we started getting as of late.

But we digress, back to the topic at hand.
Yep, **** millennials...

You'll like this.

Yeah, moving along from this derailment...

A good smith will fix that rather quickly. If your looking for a shop to do that pm me

There's a pile of gunsmiths that are making a decent living fixing R700's , most of them are great guys, but take a long look at the underlying issues and spend your money accordingly.

I guess I've been lucky. I've never needed any of these "fixes."

I tell you what....pass the steep discount on to me, someone whom actually likes Remingtons, and you buy whatever action you like. It's a win-win. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts