New Rifle opinions

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by msp21, Jan 19, 2013.

1. msp21

msp21 Member

I want a new rifle/scope to go out west with to hunt with but I will mainly be using it for Michigan hunting. Max range is 400 yds., max price that I want to spend is $1400. Some of the things I am leaning toward or considering are 30-06 or 7mm WSM, and Remington 700 action. I am unsure on scopes but want an objective of 400-50mm.

Can anyone lend me a hand and suggest some good options for me to take a look at?

Thank you in advance. :)

2. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

Might check the guns for sale section of this forum.

3. msp21

msp21 Member

Thanks but I'd like to buy new. Do you have any suggestions?

4. snowpro440

snowpro440 Well-Known Member

Savage 116 all weather Stainless Steel in 30/06 or 308 Either one is good for 400yds and beyond . 150gr bullets for deer and 180-220gr for moose elk bear or whatever . 125gr for varmits. Is that an easy choice ? Ammo can be found most anywhere. Savages shoot very well for a factory gun . :cool: If you dont like the recoil you can always put a brake on it . As for scopes take a look at Weaver, Leupold, or bushnell elite scopes in the 4x12x50 - 4x20x50

5. msp21

msp21 Member

I don't have much experience with Savage but I have herd some good things.

6. Fergus Bailey

Fergus Bailey Well-Known Member

On your budget, I would get a Tikka T3 and spend the rest on the best glass you can get. The barrels on the Tikkas are very nice. I just bought a 308 Win and when I bore scoped the barrel I was surprised now smooth it looks - no tooling marks like most factory barrels. Only fired a few shots so far, but I am getting very little copper when I clean.

Only problem is that I dont believe Tikka does a 7WSM. You could go 270 or 300 WSM, or 7mm Rem mag though.

7. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

I would suggest a Vanguard or Savage and I would not suggest a WSM in a SA factory Rifle. For 400 yd shooting, it wouldn't be an issue, but if you ever want to stretch it out or use the action for a build a SA would suck.

As far as Rems go, unless you're getting something like a Sendero, which will bust your rifle/scope budget, I would stay away from them. They are like rolling dice.

Vanguard or Savage topped with a Vortex.

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I think the Savage LRH with a decent scope may be had within your budget with a little shopping. Other models at a lower price can be easily had. They are superbly accurate and are available in a good selection of calibers. if you think there is any possibility of increasing your range I would consider a magnum, otherwise the 30-06 would be fine and meet your needs well.