Selling stuff to purchase LRH rifle

I think the combination of COVID related Logistics and the war in Ukraine have caused those "values" to go up. $150 sks rifle now sells for $800+. You can still find Chinese sks for around $400, but the European made communist block are twice that.
I would have never thought a rifle that I used to buy for 200 bucks would be gone for $800.

Given your interest in that caliber and exploring options, you might be interested in another recent thread that some of us have been active on. It's called "First custom rifle questions" Your interest in building off a Tikka frame is definitely something worth considering if you don't mind the DBM. You can probably get a nice used one for $650 or less and then to buy and bed a decent hunting stock that's not too expensive from Bell and Carlson or Grayboe, replace some parts for Mountain Tactical components (their bolt stop, their bottom metal that's real metal instead of Tikka plastic, their trigger spring and action screws, and maybe their scope rail - I like the 0 MOA one they have for Tikkas), have PTG Tikka T3 recoil lug installed, and chambering/threading a good barrel that's still reasonably priced (I like McGowen Precision for Tikka) you can come in right at $2K with a decent gunsmith doing the work for you and probably getting a SS barrel blasted and coated to your liking too. For production rifles that have a lot of custom features, I really like Bergara's Premier rifle line.

I could always borrow from work if necessary or buy another. Actually I do plan to buy an MS140 to replace what I've got. I don't need a falling saw for a once a year Xmas tree
If the saw is just for cutting a Christmas tree once a year a sharp axe will do the same thing and you won't have to worry about it starting and running sell it and as for the rest it's your stuff a really good accurate rifle is a fine thing to have especially if your going to use it regularly

I would have never thought a rifle that I used to buy for 200 bucks would be gone for $800.
I know. I turned my nose up in college some 30 years ago. We got a frat boy special. A buddy had to order by the case to get the deal, but for $75, you got a rifle, supplies and instruction on how to get it cleaned up, then some of us went out and shot them. Hell, most never even shot them!…..I think that was it. May have been $100.

I should have bought a case of those things. I was short sighted. I blame my dad. We had no use for inaccurate rifles. If it wouldn't hold 3" at 100 yds, he didn't want to talk about it. The man saw no use for handguns until he determined Ruger SA's weren't too far from his accuracy standard!

Most probably went to a pawn shop for $150 2 years later! A real shame.

We had fun and yes, that frat was closed down. Not due to our gun handling…..actually no idea why. After I graduted. The folks involved in the SKS buy and clean are all model citizens, military, etc to this day. This wasn't California and these weren't the first guns we had seen.

During the plandemic I sold my unfired Russian SKS on GrabBroker for 1400. The gun is worth what I paid for - 175, and nothing more.
Good Grief!!!!!!!

I bought one back in the day for 200 bucks here in Canada and sold it when we had our first kid and needed the money for exactly what I had paid. After having sent about 4000 rounds through it of course 🤣