Self guided elk hunt

sendero7

As a South Carolina flatlander, what state would I have the best odds of bagging an elk on a "do it your self guided" hunt. Just can't afford the big $$$ of guide and the high dollar ranches. Would have to hunt the public lands. Thanks

I wish I could help, but I have the same type of question. I'm looking for a place to hunt public land which will not be to treacherous for a first timer. All the stories I hear, is "I have a cousin out west......" Or "my friend know's this guy." Certainly, there has got to be some good info out there.

check out eastmans, they have an MRS (members research section) in the back of thier magazine that gives the information on different states and has alot of details regarding the info you are looking for. It tells you the best areas for cow success, bull success, draw odds for high % areas etc.

I live in northern idaho and for the most part its all over the counter. there are alot of elk but the hunting and the terrain is tough. good luck

I would say pick the State that gives you the best draw odds. I live in MT and have only hunted in MT. I have spent years hunting and scouting to find the places that I like to hunt. If I were going to go out of State I would get a hold of every map I could to research as well as possible before heading out. Depending on how much time you would have for the trip, it's going to be tough.

It's all about the hunt, right?

Steve

Colorado is where i go. There is lots of public land and at least when you apply you apply for the zone you eather get it or your money back right away. Been hunting there for the last 5 years with real good results.:D

I would recommend checking into guide services that offer drop camp hunts. Most can be had for around $1500. The nice thing is they will provide you with a camp,pack you in, check on you daily, bring essentials into camp and most will pack your animal out. They won't guide you but many will show you on a map where to go. We have hunted in north western colorado - cow tags are by draw - bull tags are over the counter.

I live in Idaho and hunt in Idaho. Pretty decent experience in the southeast end of things.

You don't have to worry about a draw, there are over the counter/email tags but there is a quota and you need to move early.

Ask and I'll and I'll give some hints.

Idaho is a better deal than MT for out of staters. The seasons are earlier with a rifle, and they are shorter which is no concern if you are on a vacation. The tags are cheaper. Elk are generally still bugling during their rifle season. I am pretty sure you are guaranteed a tag there. If not there, Colorado is the old standby with more elk than MT and ID put together I think.

Troutslayer:
With the wolves moving in and eating everything with hooves, is it really still worth the time and effort to hunt elk in Idaho?

Home

Troutslayer,

Yep, its still worth it to chase an elk in Idaho. Though the wolves have make a notable impact on both numbers and habits.

Plus there's always the opportunistic happenstance wolf shot that may present itself.

Also, great signature.

Troutslayer:
With the wolves moving in and eating everything with hooves, is it really still worth the time and effort to hunt elk in Idaho?

Home

If you DIY, I STRONGLY recommend, at the very least, listening to all tips locals on this site and others may be willing to give you. Better, if you find a guy "with a cousin" or "a friend" out there who will help out or let you tag along, by all means take advantage of it.

Elk are nothing like the whitetails you probably hunt. Hunting them is totally different. I learned more in two days of hunting with a local last year than I would have learned in a lifetime on the internet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.