Wyoming guided elk hunt

I hunted 45 with an outfitter last year. He set me up overlooking a herd of 500+ head of elk. Lots of bulls in the 320 class range but nothing bigger. So in my experience, it was a good elk herd in terms of numbers only. Had a good hunt, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping 10 points would have provided an opportunity at a larger class bull. All the hunters in camp shot similar bulls.

As I recall from Hunting Fool they rate 45 as a unit with 260-320 bulls with the chance for a 340. So for the most part when you're in the 320 range you're for the most part looking at top end. I get it that you spent 10 points but IMO and in hind sight it sounds like you should of applied for a unit with bigger bulls in it...

I'm 63 and I have 6 points, real world I hope to be able to gather enough points to have one last hunt in Wyo in a decent area. I'd be hunting on my own and if I saw a 320ish bull I'd hammer it!

As I recall from Hunting Fool they rate 45 as a unit with 260-320 bulls with the chance for a 340. So for the most part when you're in the 320 range you're for the most part looking at top end. I get it that you spent 10 points but IMO and in hind sight it sounds like you should of applied for a unit with bigger bulls in it...

I'm 63 and I have 6 points, real world I hope to be able to gather enough points to have one last hunt in Wyo in a decent area. I'd be hunting on my own and if I saw a 320ish bull I'd hammer it!
There are way bigger bulls than 320s in region 45. You have to get off the beaten path. I've seen them. I've helped pack them out.

gotcha, good to know I'm only passing on what HF had to say. Please share pics of the bulls you've help pack out if you have them.

They said there was a chance for a 340 and a true 340 class bull is one heck of a bull!

Just 2 of the bulls that are over the 320 mark from region 45.

Attachments

• 1017110913a.jpg
    1017110913a.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 10990.jpeg
    10990.jpeg
    717.1 KB · Views: 126
Trails west owned by Josh in unit 61 is the best elk hunt in Wyoming right now. The amount of bulls you will see every single day will blow your mind. If you do book with him a piece of advice is DONT shoot the first 6x6 you see unless is over 350
How many points does it take to draw that area or does he have tags available as an outfitter?

You have to draw a tag for 61.
I drew in 2018 to hunt with Josh with 10 points at the special license cost. Other guy in camp with me drew with 9.

You may be burning more points than required but have you thought about the LRH group hunt with Non Typical Outfitters? It's a wilderness horse back hunt.

It's National Forest but not Wilderness.

Two hunters one guide is 10K, one guide for one hunter is 11K... Why at that point would anyone do the two hunter option?? To be able to hunt with a buddy also? I was thinking one of these places would be a good option. At those prices, not a chance for this redneck. Sure wish you could hunt wilderness as a NR.

I would not go in area 7 without private land access. There are so many licenses that the public lands get hunted real hard and many to most of the elk are "pushed off" the public on to private ranches even before rifle season starts.

I'm not sure how to do a private message here since I'm a newbie. But if you want to start a private conversation, I will be glad to help.

If you just need a wall tent, stove, etc, give me a shout. I can help you with that.