Secret Service using funky FN carbines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 500grains, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 500grains

500grains Guest

Check it out.

Wouldn't they do just as well with a Ruger 10/22 in 22 magnum and a banana clip?

[​IMG]

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Thats the FN PS-90 , it looks a little funky but they are a pretty well desgined weapon , light weight , very short , 50 round mag.

they are chambered for the 5.7x28 , its a short little round with ballistic close to the 223

3. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Those "funky carbines" have been thoroughly tested over the past few years and, with regular PM, have proven to be one hell of a weapon system. The ones the USSS uses have had some factory mods, to USSS specs, and are serving well.

4. silvertip-co

silvertip-co Well-Known Member

Must be another product of FNBrowingWinchesterEtc's new non-union factory in SC...

Is that VP Cheney they are with?

5. gbp

gbp Well-Known Member

Is that VP Cheney they are with?

i thought it was hillery

6. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

I've had a little trigger time with one of those FN's... Wow!

Full auto - virtually no muzzle rise even with what seemed to be a very high cyclic rate. Very quick on target and very easy to keep it on target - far easier than any other full-auto weapon I've used.

Besides - it was seriously FUN to shoot! Ballistics? Well, it's a different kind of round for sure...

7. NONYA

NONYA Banned

Ok gun explained,now wth is with that dog?Looks like one of the hell hounds off Willow with mange...gun)

8. James Jones

The dog is a Belgin Malinois (pronounced Mal-a-waw) , they are the Ferrari of police K9's. Their awsome dogs , faster , more aggressive much more athletic have a higher drive and in my dealings smarter than the German Shepard.

9. 500grains

500grains Guest

Dog? That is Michelle. David Axelrod put that muzzle on her so that she doesn't cause any more trouble by talking to the press.

Some ballistic snippets I just found:

4. Human shot with 5.7x28

(note: not a one shot kill.)

5. some ballistics for 5.7 x 28

Bullet Type: JHP Lead Free
    Weight of Projectile: 28 gr.
    Muzzle Velocity: P90 (2132 fps) - Five-seveN (1890 fps)
    Muzzle Energy: P90 (282 ft-lbs) – Five-seveN (222 ft-lbs)

Bullet Type: V-Max Ballistic Tip
    Weight of Projectile: 40 gr.
    Muzzle Velocity: Five-seveN (1650 fps)
    Muzzle Energy: Five-seveN (242 ft-lbs)

6. 22 magnum for comparison

Bullet Type: HP
    Weight of Projectile: 40 gr.
    Muzzle Velocity: rifle (1875 fps)
    Muzzle Energy: rifle (312 ft-lbs)

7. 223 for comparison

Bullet Type: V-Max
    Weight of Projectile: 55 gr.
    Muzzle Velocity: rifle (3240 fps)
    Muzzle Energy: rifle (1282 ft-lbs)

8. My conclusion after some reading:

It seems the advantages of the 5.7 x 28 are (a) ability to penetrate body armor, (b) ability to penetrate car doors, (c) large magazine capacity (50 rds), (d) low recoil for controllable full auto fire, (e) short rifle length for maneuverability, easy to get in/out of vehicles.

On the other hand, the 5.7 would seem a bit weak on stopping power, according to our traditional measures, and is roughly comparable to a 22 magnum on paper.

Thanks for all your comments.

10. James Jones

I don't think it was intended to replace the M4 carbine (which i think is the best shoulder fired CQB weapon available when useing a 10.5" barrel) but for so to replace the H&K MP-5 which shoots pistol rounds and will not penitrate most body armor.

I personaly don't care for the PS90 , it doesn't fit me well at all but for most folks its a very shootable weapon wioth nearly zero loss of target during full auto fire , its easy to put 3 round burst into the head on a B27 target. and the 5.7x28 round works very well with a suppressor , you still get the super sonic crack but the suppressor can be made alot more compact than for a 223.

11. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

On a given day during the tourist season, which is about 9 months long, there will be somewhere between 100 and 300 innocent people on that particular street. Over half of them will be children. Given the situation they are working in, it would seem to be a reasonable choice of gun that would reduce the likelihood of having to live the rest of your life knowing you had killed a child. I cannot think of a single president in my lifetime who was honest and decent enough that I would kill an innocent child to save his life.

Some of the USSS shoot F-class at Quantico. They are some great guys and very good.

12. 500grains

500grains Guest

I definitely share that sentiment.