Second shot Flyers??

motown

So i bought a tikka t3 243 a couple weeks back and have done some load development and found that it likes 37.5grns of Imr4064 and sierra 85 grn hpbt the best which it will consistently ground around .5-.75" at 100 yards. The one odd thing with this rifle is that it consistently throws off the second shot. Every 3 shot group I have shot with it so far has pretty much had rounds 1&3 touching and the 2nd shot is about .5" outside. When i stretch it out to 200 I pretty much get the same results with the first and third shot about 1/2" apart and the second shot is around 1 1/2- 2" away. I also let the barrel cool 5-10 mins in between shots and 15-20 mins between 3 shot strings.

I thought possibly that it may have been the contact point about midway down the barrel that was in the factory stock but i just replaced the stock with a Mountain Tactical laminate stock (which is awesome btw) and the barrel is completley free floated and I am still having the same issue.

I have also tried different seating depths with no luck. The stock is torqued properly as well. Anybody have any idea how maybe to correct this problem or maybe what the issue is? I know some of you will say that it is my shooting form but i can assure that is not the issue since most of my other rifles i can shoot 1/2 moa out to 600 yards with.

I have also tried 2 different scopes on it as well a nikon monarch 4-16 and now a zeiss conquest 4.5-14 and have had the same issue and the talley lightweights on it are torqued correctly and also lapped so i have pretty much ruled out an optics issue.

So far ive tried imr4350,h4350,varget and 4064. I am shooting off of a bipod and a bag in the rear. Im gonna try some 5 shot groups as soon as the temps get out of the 90's here in PA.

Both 4350's and Varget gave me 1" triangular groups consistently but 4064 showed the most promise.

Think i got it figured out now. The rifle took about 120 shots now and seems broken in and the flyers have disappeared. I bumped up the load of 4064 a bit to 38.0 grn and shot a 3 shot group today that measured .191!

Also played around with some accubonds and imr-4350 today as well and shooting .010 off the lands i was consistently in the .3's and .4's.

I would suggest shooting thru a chronograph. As a clean barrel goes through getting dirty, It can go through some strange actions. Especially if the barrel has any little rough places in it. You may see changes over 100 ft. per second in Velocity. And changes in the point of impact. I have seen the first shot speed drop and the shoot be out of group on a lot of guns. Did you mix or change primer lots to load the shell in question. When developing loads a chronograph is a very important tool.

I would suggest shooting thru a chronograph. As a clean barrel goes through getting dirty, It can go through some strange actions. Especially if the barrel has any little rough places in it. You may see changes over 100 ft. per second in Velocity. And changes in the point of impact. I have seen the first shot speed drop and the shoot be out of group on a lot of guns. Did you mix or change primer lots to load the shell in question. When developing loads a chronograph is a very important tool.

I fully agree. My chrony crapped out a few months ago and a new one is on order as we speak. The primers where all the same cci br2's from the same lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.