2nd shot flyer????

motown

So it seems my cooper 54 excalibur 260 is a good shooting rifle but for some reason i keep getting a second shot flyer. I am only shooting 3 shot groups and letting the rifle cool inbetween shots but the second round always seems to be about 1/2-3/4" outside the first and third shots. It doesnt matter what load or seating depth i try it just consistantly does it. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Pretty simple solution to that specific problem,,,

Skip that second shot.

Or, shoot the first and third, then the second to make a 3-shot group.

Seriously, This is a unique one.

What if you shot a 6-shot group, with plenty of cooling time between shots, would the second and 4th shots fliers?

I have the same thing happening with my HS Precision SPL 300 WM. shots 1 and 3 will touch but 2 is always 1/2 inch or more away. I changed seating depth and got a little better results but the problem is still there. After the elk hunt I will contact HS for their opinion. Suggest you contact Cooper.....

I have the same thing happening with my HS Precision SPL 300 WM. shots 1 and 3 will touch but 2 is always 1/2 inch or more away. I changed seating depth and got a little better results but the problem is still there. After the elk hunt I will contact HS for their opinion. Suggest you contact Cooper.....

Seating the bullet deeper did help me a bit also but i still have the same problem. I'll try to contact cooper

Funny thing is i just got back from the range and my 100 yards groups where right around 3/4" even with the flyer and my 200 yard groups only opened up to 1.10" with the flyer as well. Not bad accuracy considering the flyers.

My .338 WinMag is having flier issues. Either shots 1 & 2 good, 3 flier, or shots 1 & 3 good, shot 2 flier...

Solution......

Snatch barrel off, true action, replace with new barrel in a better caliber (something 7mm or .257 Wby). As if yall didn't already know... :D

Could be something as simple as shooting form. If you don't do everything the same it ain't going to shoot the same place.

Is the rifle bedded? could it be shifting in the stock?
Have you tried a different scope?

The rifle is bedded with what appears to be devcon. I started with a 3.5-10 vx-3 and thought maybe that was the issue and switched scopes to a 4.5-14 vx-3 and am still having the same results.

Could be something as simple as shooting form. If you don't do everything the same it ain't going to shoot the same place.
My gun's issue ain't shooting form, I can guarantee that, especially since my other rifles shoot 1 ragged hole groups. :cool:

You could try adjusting torque on the action screws. Maybe 5 lbs at a time on alternating screws? Front screw 5 tighter and shoot a group. The rear screw 5 tighter and shoot a group. I think cooper states 35 in lb on the front screw and 25 on the rear screw but it wouldn't hurt to check it and adjust it a little.

Also if you are shooting H4350...you could try Varget if you have some. My 260 does not produce the best accuracy with H4350.

Just some thoughts.

I really like the first idea of skipping the second shot though...:D

I have often seen this on custom rifles and out of the box rifles alike. I have had customers bring them to me after having them to several other smiths which redid the bedding, free floating procedures, all the obvious. I have spent ALOT of time correlating all the facts and looking at what was going on. On thing I have come up with is the more the overbore the case design was the more prevalent the problem was. The second thing was all of the rifles that were having these problems had cut rifled barrels. I could help some of them by stress relieving them but in the end if I rebarreled the rifle with a quality cut rifled barrel it ALWAYS went away, Hope this helps..Good shoootingun)

I have a buddy that is a very good shooter that had this same problem. His turned out to be the fact that he was using a one piece scope base. When mounted if you tightened the front screws down first, it would leave a gap between the receiver and the rear of the base. This was loading the scope. He swapped to a two piece base and Burris rings and his problem went away.

Yeah right now i am shooting with a 2 pcs talley set so thats probably not the issue. Im gonna try to torque the stock bit by bit to see if that works.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.