Seating depth for A-max bullets

I must confess that I'm impressed with your results. That 2.430 group wouldn't need a lot of work to fine tune.
Even though my routine works, I'm gonna try your method next range visit and see if the modified version you describe broadens my range of node possibilities.

I normally do the seating depth test first, using a starting load, then do the powder charge workup, which will typically tune the group a bit more. If desired, one could then make small seating depth adjustments as a final fine tuning step. I have always been pretty satisfied with the end result though, so I have never felt the need to do that.

When I first started doing the seating depth test, followed by the powder charge workup, it was taking me two range sessions to find my load. Then, I realized the obvious: I could load all of my rounds for the powder charge workup at the longest OAL that I am testing for seating depth. Once I have established the preferred seating depth, I can use my Lee Hand Press at the range to bump my loaded rounds to the preferred seating depth and proceed. By doing that, I can complete the entire process in a single range session.

I also forgot to mention that I fire both the seating depth test and powder charge workup in round-robin fashion to distribute error and reduce the chances of a fluky group distorting my results.

I will be interested to see the results from your next range session! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.