Sd prairie dogs

BUSTINDOGS

Looking to take my Dad prairie dog hunting. We have gone to MT before maybe ten years ago now scene our last trip.
He is a little older now and not wanting to drive as far. I would really like to find a contact, or maybe a guide to get us on some dogs.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

The State of South Dakota used to offer a booklet on where and how to get 'dogs. Might check their website or give them a call.

Went with this guy twice, http://www.dakotahuntingtrips.com/outfitters/prairiedoglodge.html
both time we had great luck. We shot on the Rosebud Sioux Tribal land the second time. NA guide put us in a pasture that probably had not been shot in a long time. But both trips we shot alot: ~ 3,000 rounds each over 5 day period, each trip. AR's were smoking...

And almost stepped on a Rattlesnake, while going back to our cabin from the shower, armed only with a towel, which was invigorating.

Good luck

Jerry

One of my secrets is GoogleEarth for doggy scouting. One can zoom in enough to ID bare spots around prairie dog holes, hasn't let me down yet. Of course one has to use other tools & maps to see land ownership & all.

One of my secrets is GoogleEarth for doggy scouting. One can zoom in enough to ID bare spots around prairie dog holes, hasn't let me down yet. Of course one has to use other tools & maps to see land ownership & all.

I have looked at this before. I think if i wasn't bring my Dad and one of his friends i would try this out.

One place last June we walked 1.8 or so miles in, traveling light. It was doggy nirvana, who else would want to walk, most want the truck right there. I like the 'hunting' aspect to dogging, take some shooting sticks, maybe a mounted bipod & go.

This summer I'll plan better, more ammo, water, food & supplies.

One place last June we walked 1.8 or so miles in, traveling light. It was doggy nirvana, who else would want to walk, most want the truck right there. I like the 'hunting' aspect to dogging, take some shooting sticks, maybe a mounted bipod & go.

This summer I'll plan better, more ammo, water, food & supplies.
I did that with chucks in Central Oregon. This was 6-7 years ago because too many people running around out there. Even worse now. but you can find some honey holes with some scouting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts