First SD prairie dog shoot

bipods is all i shoot off of. Sounds like numbers down in the south but they are higher than ever up north here.

I've done a few trips to SD dogging. We mostly used benches. The last time I added a little stealth, sitting on the edge of a small rise. The benches are fine but keeping a lower profile & adding some 'hunting' to the mix can help with more close shots. My former gunsmith was big on roving around the edge of a dogtown on foot, with a portable rest.

Just watch out for snakes & such, but something to think about.

Well, all the weapons and ammo are packed. We leave in a few hours headed out there. I will post a report on Monday when we get backgun)

Any update -- I am heading out on Saturday to the Circle View for shooting from Sunday to Wednesday then off to NW Nebraska to try out another location.

Thanks

UK

Hey all. Been reading here for a while, so went ahead and joined up. I just got done making my reservations to shoot some P dogs in South Dakota. Me and 3 buddies from work are heading to the Circle View Ranch in May. Read a bunch of good reveiws so decided to make it happen. Its quite the drive, so hopefully the weather is good. Anyway, was a little pumped up bout it and had to share.

I'm guessing the answer to my question can vary depending on weather but what are typically the best times or months to book for PD shooting???
When their holes are flooded from a big rain.. .:D

Watch out for rattlesnakes though!

Anytime other than winter is great for them. Once the hot summer is on you though the middle of the day tends to be pretty slow.

From Experience

-- Do not drive out in the Prairie's when wet, the SD Mud/Hard Pan/etc is very slippery and getting stuck would kill a trip and a tow truck is hours away

-- When driving out the Walmart/Cabella's in Mitchell SD is the last stop for food/supplies etc before the badlands/Interior -- good place to stock up

-- You are not allowed to drive out on Public land to shoot or set up, you must walk it. It is still legal to drive out on Private land or Indian Reservations if you have permission

-- Mount Rushmore is a great trip to make on a bad shooting day (rain/wind/etc) -- a couple of hours away -- Fed Govt does charge for parking but not for admission. Custer State Park is pretty neat -- Buffalo herd is generally easy to see -- State charges for admission but it is for vehicle

-- Bring a good pair of bino's, these should be about 8x or greater but smaller objectives since you are shooting during the day and there is plenty of light. I use 10x40 with good eye relief - first year my bino's had almost no eye relief and my eyes were sore from using them

-- Unless you are planning exploring the Badlands when you hit the Badlands entrance tell them you are not stopping and are on the way to Interior/Circle View -- They should not charge you admission. The younger Park Rangers keep trying to charge but we never paid (and never stopped)

From Dayton it is 1200 miles and 20 hours -- are you sure your 15 hours is correct to Circle View Ranch in Interior

UK
To add to yours.

Be very careful about getting on Indian Lands. They manage their own and you must have a reservation license to hunt them.

Indian Game Wardens tend to have no sense of humor.

Well just back from PD Hunting/Shooting in Interior.

Interior SD -- the population has been hit hard by the plauge/illness -- Day 1 I had a total of 8 and my group of 4 had about 30. We did talk to the gentleman at the Cowboy Corner (Gas Station/Conv Store) who gave us a good lead on a farm that was overrun with PD -- we paid him $100 for our group of 7 (another 3 showed) and it was a great investment, those were some dumb PD's -- however the next day they did smarten up a little, but very little. I bagged another 30 that afternoon and the next morning.

Circle View Ranch B&B was as good as always -- just wish he PD Population would recover, of course the ranchers are happy they are stuggling. The sad part the population is really growing in the designated no-hunt areas and these dogs are still effecting the ranchers.

UK

Any update -- I am heading out on Saturday to the Circle View for shooting from Sunday to Wednesday then off to NW Nebraska to try out another location.

Thanks

UK

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.