Scope Ring Advise for new build needed!

mfloski

Building an SPS Tactical in .308 with a Bell & Carlson A2 stock, going to put a Swaro Z5 scope on it. My last dilemma is scope rings. Thinking I don't want weaver style but not sure why (talk me into it if it's what I should get)...thinking I want a one piece base, with heavy duty high end rings...Once the base and rings are on, I plan on lapping the rings before installing the scope. Your input would be really helpful!

Since you will build a .308 it would be nice to know how far you are planning to shoot. If you are going to shoot out to 1000 yds and beyond I would suggest a 20 MOA Picatinny rail with Weaver type rings. The Picatinny will give you more options for scope placement from your eye and give you room to put a B-Square bubble level (which I like) on it also. This allows you to keep the action level when shooting and when you level your scope also.

This is how I have mine set up: :D

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: The reticle design, magnification and the repeatability of the elevation & windage are the most important things I look for in a scope. Also I like a Custom Turret calibrated to my rifle.

Last edited:
800-1000 MAX practically 500 and 600yrds....what type of rings do you have on there?

Burris Extreme Tactical 30mm "LOW" rings. My scope has a 30mm tube.

joseph

PS: Hope you like that scope you are getting. I don't buy scopes for the price or name. I get what will be the best tool for what I want to do.

Last edited:
Joseph ok I will play.....what has you thinking my scope is just about the name and the money vs that's the tool for the job I wanna do?

Like you said I do not know that the scope you picked won't do what you want it to do.

I just meant that for the long range shooting that I do the reticle and custom turret makes it easier for me to hit what I aim at. I have many scopes with many different reticles from mil dot to target dot, 4 plex and different range finding ones. For me I would rather have less quality glass and have the adjustments be repeatable and match the measurements of the reticle.

The scope you have picked out is a very good scope with better glass than the PST, but this PST has greatly improved my long range shooting. It just makes it easier and faster to get the shots off accurately. All the clicks, hash marks and the custom turret work in combination with each other. With the other scopes I have used I always had to be figuring my calculations before shooting. Now all I have to do is range the distance turn the turret to the yardage and hold the hash marks for the wind and shoot. If the turret happens to be a little off on a particular day I only have to make a few click adjustments instead of maybe starting out by counting 89 clicks or more or I could hold higher or lower using the hash marks. In a short time it becomes second nature doing this.

I hope I have explained this well.

joseph

PS: After reading what I have just written I may still sound like I'm criticising, but don't mean to be. It is just that since I got this scope my improvement has been really great.

Last edited:
no worries....I did leave off that I was planning on getting it with the Swaro target turrets that allow exactly that but only specific for 4 distance, which you can choose. But nothing would stop you from putting some extra dots on the three rings and increasing the number of exactly calculated distances. Glad your enjoying your set up.

Check out Kenton Industries. http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/ttctypes/ They are very well known and make excellent custom turrets. The may be able to make one for you if you decide to get one.

In case you have never made a drop chart before you need to do it with your rifle with the load and bullet weight you are planning to use.

Do not trust a computer ballistics program to have your turret made from. My rifle which shoots a 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105gr. VLDs and CCI4 primers and Varget powder does not shoot like the JBM ballistics computes. My zero is 200 yds. and JBM says my bullets should drop 7 inches at 300 yds., but it actually drops 8 inches. This difference would make a turret very inaccurate at longer ranges. What the guy at Vortex did was to enter my actual drop measurements into their ballistic program and then changed the velocity until my drop numbers matched up. Then when the custom turret was made it reflects the actual bullet drop at all the ranges.
and they are dead nuts on.

They made the turret with numbers going from 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 and so on for every 100 yds. In between each number there are 3 tick marks. Each tick mark equals 25yds. So the tick marks represent 25+50+75 yds. in between the 100 yd. numbers.

Hope I have helped and good luck,

joseph

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.