Need HELP with ring HEIGTH advise........Please.

AGL4now

The scope will be used on a few different AR-platform rifles, where the top of the hand guard rail is even with the receiver rail. The scope has a 52mm Objective Lens. I would like about 1/8" (.125) clearance.

Thanks for helping.

The scope will be used on a few different AR-platform rifles, where the top of the hand guard rail is even with the receiver rail. The scope has a 52mm Objective Lens. I would like about 1/8" (.125) clearance.

Thanks for helping.
Should be pretty simple;

52mm obj /2 = 26mm

26mm + 3mm clearance = 29mm from top of receiver to scope centre line

29mm - 17mm (1/2 of your 34mm tube) = 12mm or 0.472"

Thus .500 or medium mount OR HIGHER should work out in your case. Most guys don't go for minimum clearances on an AR though. With the straight stock, most shooters seem to be using higher (1-1/2") mounts

...... Most guys don't go for minimum clearances on an AR though. With the straight stock, most shooters seem to be using higher (1-1/2") mounts

Thank You for the help, truly appreciated. The scope will nearly always reside on a Bolt Action rifle. But, I want to have the option of sometimes using it on an AR-platform for some special tests. I figured if it clears the Hand Guard on the AR-platform, then it will for sure work on the Remington 700.

problem is, on the AR you may have height issues as the scope will probably be far to low for a natural sight picture. if you set the height for the Rem700, then you may want a riser for the AR for the height to be on. I run MSR style single piece mounts for all my ar's and the height is spot on with the straight stock.

Wow......I can't believe I overlooked using risers. There is likely about 8 or 10 sets of risers around here not being used.

Now I have to recalculate the height for the rings. But THANKS to "Hand Skills" now I only need to put a straight edge on the Rem. 700 and the Win. 70 base and measure the drop, then deduct that from "Hand Skills" data.

Thanks to both of you, and everyone on this wonderful forum.

problem is, on the AR you may have height issues as the scope will probably be far to low for a natural sight picture. if you set the height for the Rem700, then you may want a riser for the AR for the height to be on. I run MSR style single piece mounts for all my ar's and the height is spot on with the straight stock.

Cheers! I'm happy to contribute, for my approach to shooting I really feel this is the best forum going.

With a 34mm tube you will be fine with low rings on a sporter weight barrel. Medium for anything bigger than a #5 contour.

Yep.......still in Sunrise, Alaska (Population: 9 Humans, 16 Black Bears, and 41 Brown Bears) Weather is in the high 30's and going into the mid 40's next for the next two weeks, or so they say.

AGL4now, still living down on the K-penn around Hope? I'm on the Alaska outdoors forum and noticed your handle. How's the weather in the far north?

With a 34mm tube you will be fine with low rings on a sporter weight barrel. Medium for anything bigger than a #5 contour.

How do I calculate the barrel contour.....??? I know the muzzle diameter is .830 if that helps...???

I only go to town twice a year for supplies, so everything I need (between) has to come by mail. And if I order the wrong size, returning is a pain.

image.jpg
Sounds like a sendero contour to me. Lows will likely work, but you will be safe with mediums!

If you are keen on getting it as low as possible you will need a measurement of the scope caps outside diameter

Last edited:
Thanks "AGAIN"........I would have not thought to consider the scope caps. And thanks for the chart. Yes, it is a Remington Model 85197

I had the burning desire to order the rings, so when the scope gets here I can put it all to gather. Now I think I will wait and be sure the low rings will work. This scope comes with the nice aluminum covers.

Leupold may be able to help you as well, I would try giving them a call - I'm sure you are not the first to marry a 5R with a VX6HD!

If you can wait until you have the scope in hand, a good trick is to use a couple of stacks of coins to shim the scope up off the receiver or base. This is especially handy for canted rails. Once you have the desired clearance, measure your stack of shims and it will give the the height very precisely, provided your shims are of uniform thickness. No need to rush a good thing!

along the lines of the coins, I've used long shank 1/4 drive bits set on top of the rail. that way I know just how high the scope is off the rail and find the scope rings with the closest measurement to that. With a heavy barrel, 20moa rail and 30mm scope with 50mm objective, I'd go straight for med height rings. You may be able to go lower, but given your circumstances MED should work just fine. I have the VX6 3-18x50 on my tikka 300wm with a magnum contour barrel and 20moa rail and MED rings work perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.