Scope advise

mitch291

New to the long range shooting game. Here in southern ohio 300 yard is hard to find lol. I'm building a 6.5 x 47 and wanting to set it up for an antelope hunt next year. I'm looking for advice on a good scope with zero stop for around 600 to 800 dollars. I apresiate all the help I can get.

I just picked up a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44, and so far, I love it. It has a zero stop, and plenty of adjustment in the turrets to reach out to 1000+ yds. It also comes at a street price of under $600. If you need more magnification, there is supposed to be a 6-24x version out this summer.

New to the long range shooting game. Here in southern ohio 300 yard is hard to find lol. I'm building a 6.5 x 47 and wanting to set it up for an antelope hunt next year. I'm looking for advice on a good scope with zero stop for around 600 to 800 dollars. I appreciate all the help I can get.

If your optics are crystal clear you wont need a 24X for that caliber. Im running a Zeiss Conquest on my longer range rifles and they are 6-20X. Good prices too.

I have both PSTs', the 4-16 and 6-24x. The 16x has much less critical eye relief, I think it would be a much better hunting scope. The 24x is nice off the bench.

When you pick a scope, make sure you like the reticle. That makes or breaks it for me. I never thought I would like illuminated reticles or red dot center, but they have their place. On a overcast day or near sunset(or sunrise), I use the PST's illumination a lot.

I also love a red dot center in my scope for predator hunting, but that's shorter range.

mitch291

I have a couple of Bushnell Elite 6500s in the 4.5 to 30X. They don't have exposed turrets (when the caps are installed) or zero stops but they are in your price range and the zoom is really something as you can jump shoot at 4.5X or zoom to 30X for head shots. They also have a pop up turret for really easy zero setting. One of them is on my 338 RUM with about 600 rounds down the tube and it is still working like new. I also have a much more expensive Leupold VX6 in the 3X to 18X. It also has the popup zero feature but the larger 20 MOA per turret revolution. The optics on both these scopes look great at any zoom setting.

I highly recommend the Vortex Viper PST in FFP. Until two weeks ago I had both the 4-16 and 6-24. I had the 4-16 on my AR that I primarily use for calling coyotes and the 6-24 on my 7mm for whitetail, aoudad, etc. I used the 4-16 a lot this year doing coyote calling in the moonlight and got along very well. I had no trouble shooting coyotes on the snowy ground with a little moonlight. I liked the FFP because if I didn't want to dial the turrets I could just holdover with the reticle. You could probably pick up the 6-24 in FFP used for $800. In fact, I listed mine on here not too long ago for that price. I had no complaints about either scope. The only reason I traded mine were because I've had my heart set on a NF for about 4 years and was fortunate enough to acquire two within the last month. Note that with the FFP model the reticle does get quite a bit heavier when turned to 24x, but not enough to inhibit you from making a 1,000 yard shot on game. Also, the customer service is EXCEPTIONAL!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.