Scope Recommendation

The Leupold VX6hd 3-18x50 are very lite. less than 20 ounces,
Great glass
Best low profile hunting turret on the mkt.
great reticle choices.
illuminated.
internal level indicator.
Comes with aluminum scope caps and extended magnification ring.
30 MM not 34mm and will fit on medium rings.
Normal price at bigsupplyshops.com less than $1300. not $1699 like most places.
vx5hd 3x15x44 are no slouch either at $800 or so

just my 2cents

What kind of $ are you willing to spend?

Nightforce makes quality optics, and the SHV line looks promising, no experience with them, but maybe some who do can chime in.

I'm fairly new to long range hunting and shooting. I just purchased a Nosler M48 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to be able to stretch it out to 600 yds or beyond one day. Should I go with 3.5-10 or 4.5-14. I'm wanting to keep the rifle as light as possible to carry for backpack hunting.
I went with the NXS 2.5-10x42 trying to keep it light but after a year wish I would have went with the NXS 3.5-15x50.

I feel like Sightron should put me on their payroll for as many times as I've recommended their scopes, lol. For a grand you can put a 8-32 x 56 illuminated reticle a top that sweet 6.5 and been happy. Sweet clear glass and great bang for the buck. Nothing wrong with ant aforementioned scopes but bang for buck a Sightron is a good option to at least consider. Good luck

The Leupold VX6hd 3-18x50 are very lite. less than 20 ounces,
Great glass
Best low profile hunting turret on the mkt.
great reticle choices.
illuminated.
internal level indicator.
Comes with aluminum scope caps and extended magnification ring.
30 MM not 34mm and will fit on medium rings.
Normal price at bigsupplyshops.com less than $1300. not $1699 like most places.
vx5hd 3x15x44 are no slouch either at $800 or so

just my 2cents
Where can you purchase for $1300? I am unable to find that price.

The Schmidt and Bender scopes, are going up way for less they have the best Glasses else you can look at the vortex and NF NXS
S&B is overrated for what you get. You can get the same quality scope for 1/3 to 1/2 the price. And for the price of an S&B, you can get a better quality scope, like a March or Kahles.

Personal opinion.

S&B are actually cheaper at the moment March and Kahles from what are read are nice but won't fair better when it comes to Glasses S&B are know to have the best of Glass second to NF ATACR.
The last S&B PMII's I looked through (several years back) were as bad an optic as I've ever looked through... Don't know if they just ran a bad batch and QC failed to do their job, or what happened? But they were awful. They were blurry, I couldn't get them to focus, and they had a yellow tint to them. Never seen anything like it on a $3,000+ optic. They had about 6 of them sitting there, and all of them looked that way. My guess was it was a bad batch of scopes, but if their QC is slipping that bad, then there's no way I'd ever spend that kind of money on them. I used to sell them many years ago at the gun store, and none of them were ever like that, so not sure what's going on over at the S&B factory.

That's only part of my reasoning for my opinion...The other is that optics and lens tech has come so far these days, that they can now produce scopes that are S&B quality at a fraction of the cost. The Zeiss Conquest HD5 scopes are right up there with the S&B scopes in clarity and lens coatings, but are 1/3 the price. You can buy a $1,500 Swarovski or Kahles KX and it's right up there with S&B clarity, too. Now granted, you're not going to get all the tactical bells & whistles the PMII is going to have, until you get higher priced like the Nightforce NXS & ATACR and Vortex Razor II scopes, or the higher priced Kahles K624i scopes and US Optics and March-X series scopes...But as far as quality of lens grind and lens coatings, you can get as good a scope for a lot less.

Yes it does, a few others complain about it on here
Hmmm, makes me wonder if that's some sort of new lens coating they've been using, or if they're just having issues and refusing to acknowledge it, so they don't have to fix everybody's scopes?

Either way, it does look terrible and needs to be corrected by S&B.

I haven't even noticed who's been reviving them, but I have noticed a rise in old threads lately. That's a funny post. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.