scope problems

enpro

hi, i am new to this forum and need some help with a strange problem i have. i have a howa 1500 30-06 with a 35MOA rail and a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 MRAD Reticle. the strange problem i have is that with a 35MOA rail i am only in the mid range of my scope, does anyone have any idea of where the problem is?

hi, i am new to this forum and need some help with a strange problem i have. i have a howa 1500 30-06 with a 35MOA rail and a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 MRAD Reticle. the strange problem i have is that with a 35MOA rail i am only in the mid range of my scope, does anyone have any idea of where the problem is?

The first thing I would do is measure the rail and make sure it has 35MOA built into it. If so, look carefully at the flat (top of action) where the rail is mounted. If the rail is bedded to the action completely flat, and not bent then it has to be in your vertical scope adjustment. Turn the vertical adjustment all the way down until it stops. Then turn it all the way up counting the clicks. Divide the number in half and dial the scope to half way. That should put you where you need to be. If you aren't then your scope isn't dialing correctly. It may need repair.
Hope this helps.
TKH

My guess would be that your rail is not a 35 moa rail. Pull the scope off and put a straight edge on the rail, see if it intersects with your barrel. With a 35 moa rail, it should intersect. If it is a 35 moa rail, you got scope problems.

I have a similar problem with my weatherby vanguard. I have a 20 moa base with the vortex hst also and my "20 moa" base only gave me about 8 minutes of difference between it and a flat base. I wondered if maybe the rings are too high. I have about 3/8" of clearance under my scope bell and barrel. Enpro, how high are your scope rings and what is your zero range?

I have a similar problem with my weatherby vanguard. I have a 20 moa base with the vortex hst also and my "20 moa" base only gave me about 8 minutes of difference between it and a flat base. I wondered if maybe the rings are too high. I have about 3/8" of clearance under my scope bell and barrel. Enpro, how high are your scope rings and what is your zero range?

my ring hight i cannot remembe now but i know that i can go lower, i wil measure them when i get the chance. my zeroing range is 100 meters

I am not a pro and not a geometry wiz but I think the lower the scope to the barrel the better but not touching. I have also been told that if a gun has a 2 or 300 yard zero they will have more elevation adjustment. This hasn't really ever made sense to me but maybe someone a little smarter than me can explain or debunk this.

earlier i had a nikon hunting scope with a 0MOA rail and i was in my middle of my adjustment, but when i put the vortex on the same rail i had was only able to get to 300M from my 100M zero. does ring hights have something to say? i checked my rail and it is a 35 MOA rail custom order from farrel industries

earlier i had a nikon hunting scope with a 0MOA rail and i was in my middle of my adjustment, but when i put the vortex on the same rail i had was only able to get to 300M from my 100M zero. does ring hights have something to say? i checked my rail and it is a 35 MOA rail custom order from farrel industries

If your base is level and parallel with the top of your action you should check the height of your rings off the base. If they are different heights (many rings aren't perfect) it will certainly affect your vertical adjustment. If they aren't perfectly centered it will affect your windage.
You can mess up good rings by to lapping them incorrectly or bending them with a lapping bar. On the other hand you can make small corrections by lapping them.

TKH

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.