Gunsmith Problems

TK 1985

Just wondering if anybody else has had an issue like this;
I am having a 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action built by a local smith, was supposed to be a January delivery, now still nothing going into February. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, I know custom work takes time, but since right after xmas I have been told all that's left is a trigger hanger and a muzzle brake.
A couple times during January I was told he would stop by the shop I work at and drop it off, no show. Then last Thursday I just said I could come to him if it was more convenient (he is about an hour from me). I was told he would get it finished up and Sunday at 7 would be good to meet. I drove out, nobody was around and no answer on his phone or cell.
I left a voicemail and have not heard back. Now this gentleman has a fairly big operation, doing thousands of guns a year for large, established firearms companies, so it's not like I met someone in a back alley and gave them my money to build a rifle.
I am kind of stressed and not sure what to do, should I be giving him another chance, should I be asking what he will do to fix this, should I just ask for my money back and start over from scratch and call the last few months a waste?

Wait him out. Call each week inquiring about it all the while remembering that it will be a cold day in Hades when he works on another of your rifles.

I was told he would get it finished up and Sunday at 7 would be good to meet. I drove out, nobody was around and no answer on his phone or cell.

He is at the least not honest and could be scamming you.

Now this gentleman has a fairly big operation, doing thousands of guns a year for large, established firearms companies

Are you positive? If this was true he would not be running you around like above. Is he an employee of someone who does this much business or he is just working on the side for you?

After the shenanigans above, I would be getting my money back. But that's just me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

He is, in fact, the owner. As far as the operation, I've been on the shop floor and it is fairly large. I guess I could have mentioned that I have my suspicions that he took on too much work in a short time period. Though it doesn't really change the situation other than I would like to give the benefit of the doubt as to whether he is scamming me intentionally.
It's the not showing up then not returning the call that is bothersome. I would have much rather been told "hey it's going to take longer than I thought" than stringing along a finish date, followed by silence.

He is, in fact, the owner.

It's the not showing up then not returning the call that is bothersome. I would have much rather been told "hey it's going to take longer than I thought" than stringing along a finish date, followed by silence.

Been through this. For about a two year period. Sucks. At least your gunsmith is local to you... so I doubt your project will drag on too much longer.

At the very least he is dishonest and disrespectful of his customers. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is wait him out.

THEN - I'd post his business practices on sites where you can help others from dealing with the same crap.

I am really intolerant of dishonest people.

Yeah I didn't quite want to go badmouthing the guy until I at least hear back from him (which I have not yet)

It's a shame that people have to deal with mess like this. I read stuff like this all of the time, and gunsmiths should have more respect for the people who are putting food on there table.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.