Scope Mounting Systems

RustyRick

It appears to me that many scope mounting systems are incorporating a 90 degree twist into-place bottom ring base.

With alignment, lapping, and scope position being so "critical" - WHY are manufacture engineers building that style of scope base?

It would seem that it would be near imposable to ensure that the bottom half of the ring sits at exactly 90 degrees to the bore line.

My bet is that lapping maybe taking some unnecessary ring material off to make things true.

I don't understand why this system is so prevalent?

It appears to me that many scope mounting systems are incorporating a 90 degree twist into-place bottom ring base.

With alignment, lapping, and scope position being so "critical" - WHY are manufacture engineers building that style of scope base?

It would seem that it would be near imposable to ensure that the bottom half of the ring sits at exactly 90 degrees to the bore line.

My bet is that lapping maybe taking some unnecessary ring material off to make things true.

I don't understand why this system is so prevalent?

In my opinion, the double dovetail system is a very good one if you need the clearance in the ejection port.

You are correct about the improper installation being bad, but so is any other poor installation.

If they are installed correctly, the Duel Dovetail is very dependable/durable and so far I have not had to lap a single set of rings to align them and prevent ring marks because of the way I install them.

I made a set of mandrels 1" and 30 mm long enough to align both rings to each other before I install the scope.I will try to make a video of the procedure and post it the next time I install a set of Duel Dovetail bases and rings.

Years ago, I got away from the rear Windage bases because of several failures of the adjustment screws breaking (Always at the worst time)and went to the Duel Dovetail system and have never had another failure.

The picatinny style is also very good but the rings can be installed improperly and scope can be damaged also. the downside to this type of mounting system is that in many cases it partially
blocks the ejection port.

Even though I have a set of scope ring reamers I have never had to use them. and if the rings were badly out of alignment, I simply replace them with a good set because I have seen rings that were over reamed and would not hold the scope.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE. Is there any way without the mandrel to ensure that the front or rear ring bases aren't at 89 degrees or less. Or am I being anal about this?

Not at all !!!

That is why I use the mandrels (I am anal also about them being true to the bore and with each other).

The mandrels are nothing more than a true 1" and 30 MM piece of aluminum round bar.

The two piece ones you see with points, want give you the results that a single straight mandrel
will.

The mandrel will also tell you if the rings or bases are a different height. (The major case of ring marks) or the wrong bases for the action.

The dove tails are very tight (I also use a small amount of anti- seize on them) and it takes a mandrel to align them properly.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.