Beginner scope mounting

Robster80

Hey guys. Usually i just let a gunsmith mount my hunting scopes and boresight but the past 2 times now ive had a scope an installed it was apprently installed incorrectly - scope shifted forward in one rifle,marred up my meopta, next rifle i removed rings myself and they had almost worked themselves totally loose. I want to start mounting the scope myself. Just looking for any pointers. Ive watched some youtube vids, i plan to get a vise - would the Tipton Best be the best option here? Along with a wheeler torque wrench,leveling kit and loktite? Also i need to degrease the base holes and screws correct?

Any tips or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unless you are mounting a scope to a big magnum my first piece of advice would be to use Burris signature rings. They eliminate the marring issues completely and are the best for getting your scope set up exactly as you like. They are a little more complex to learn to use but well worth the time.

Next you really only have to worry about getting the scope on level. So level the action, then level the scope to the leveled action and you are pretty much set.

Then go verify everything in the field, the fun part!

HTH,

Scot E.

I have had no issues on magnums cartridges but I have read on here that some have. So to be safe I mentioned that. 7mms and 300 win mag type cartridges should be fine. I am not sure I would use them on a lighter weight 338 shooting 300 grain pills however.

Scot E.

Watched the video on the site posted above, It covers the mounting of rings and the scope itself on an installed rail. It shows nothing about base or rail mounting.
The Bases/Rail is the foundation a scope is mounted on.

First thing check and make sure the bases or rail dry fit the rifle properly.

Carefully check all contact points and holes for burrs.
Then getting the screw holes, Top of action clean and oil free. Bottom of base and the mounting screws oil free. Acetone is my choice for cleaning. Be careful with any cleaner, Keep it off stock paint or finish it may damage it.

Do you want to dry mount the bases or rail, or use Epoxy to fill any little voids between the bases/rail and the action?

Make sure you use the right Loc-Tite that is tool removable. Follow directions furnished with the bases/rail or torque wrench to complete the installation. Good Luck on the project.

Watched the video on the site posted above, It covers the mounting of rings and the scope itself on an installed rail. It shows nothing about base or rail mounting.

Then getting the screw holes, Top of action clean and oil free. Bottom of base and the mounting screws oil free. Acetone is my choice for cleaning. Be careful with any cleaner, Keep it off stock paint or finish it may damage it.

Do you want to dry mount the bases or rail, or use Epoxy to fill any little voids between the bases/rail and the action?

Make sure you use the right Loc-Tite that is tool removable. Follow directions furnished with the bases/rail or torque wrench to complete the installation. Good Luck on the project.

Thanks man!

+1! For what it is worth ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/d6RopWI0-GE?t=8[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/1sAmsJ2O6FQ?t=136[/ame]

Feenix Watched the video you posted on the 700 Rem and rail. Great Video.
It showed that not every rail and action will fit perfectly together, And what can be done to correct it and relieve stress on the rail. That way the stress cannot be transmitted to the scope when it is mounted.

Im confused on something- i clean the screws and screw holes with acetone right? But dont use any gun oil on the screws?? Ive read not to then i read that its good to do so to keep from rusting and what not. But if i am suposed to use some oil on the screw would that cause issues with the loktite not doing its job ?

Im confused on something- i clean the screws and screw holes with acetone right? But dont use any gun oil on the screws?? Ive read not to then i read that its good to do so to keep from rusting and what not. But if i am suposed to use some oil on the screw would that cause issues with the loktite not doing its job ?

I suggest to watch those videos again ...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.