Scope Magnification for LRH

Max Scope Magnification?

• Total voters
Kirby ,,,,,,

you ever tried to find a coues deer in the dark oaks or by a Palo Verde tree at 1,000 yards with only a 12X scope ?,,,,,,,

Kirby ,,,,,,

you ever tried to find a coues deer in the dark oaks or by a Palo Verde tree at 1,000 yards with only a 12X scope ?,,,,,,,

Isn't that what a spotting scope is for, or at least binocs? You just going to try to rip on Kirby in every post you can dig up now?

no ,,,,,, I am not here to pick on Kirby, (((even though he goes out of his way to get at me!) ,,,,,,

I just know that at my fat old age, trying to find & shoot a little Coues deer at 900+ yards with a 12X power scope would be challenge ,,,,

Hmmm... hate to see new folks come on and create controversy. You guys are both known for exceptional rifles, just maybe different genre's... but not my biz.

FWIW, I have done a fair amount of shooting at marmots the past couple years with a NF compact set on 10X. Shots have been as far as 1077 yards. This is stretching the capability of the scope, and the capability of these 54 years old eyes even more. I am pleasantly surprised to say it can certainly be done... the seeing the target part anyway, the hitting, well, so far 631 yards with this light weight big game rifle.

Another FWIW, I've been shoot at them with a S&B set on 16X out to a mile. I think the quality of glass has a lot to do with the ability to shoot at long ranges with relatively low powered scopes.

B..... .
I think we often get to caught up on high mag scopes and often if optical quality is good, you do not need as much mag power.
This needs to be repeated, and often.

I've got a couple of variables that go as high as 20 and 25x but I almost never dial them up to max power for an actual shot, just to evaluate the target for trophy quality.

For coyote and larger sized game I've done just fine out to 1000yds with a conquest 3.5-10x44, and even on varmints as small as prairie dogs I find no need for more than 14x for 95% of my shooting or more.

Another thing about the higher power scopes besides low light issues, is that the higher the power the more problems you'll have with mirage effects.

Another thing to consider about buying a scope is the come up. I like the Nightforce 5.5x22 because it has the dependability on tracking and the minutes needed for long range. It is better to have the power and not need it then too need it and don't have it. Mine hardly ever leaves 22x. I even mounted a Vortex Sparc red dot on a picitanny ring mount on top of my Nightforce to use in locating game. It makes it easy to look and and see red dot and move gun to that part of mountain.

Last edited:
I think that you are looking at this the wrong way

Your question is how much on top do I need.

You should be asking is how low do I need to go on the bottom end. Can I get buy with 6.5x on the bottom or do I need less.....5.5...4.5....4....3.5....ect.

IMO, you can never have to much on top, and can always dial down.

But on the bottom, if you have 6 x on the low side and need less, you're screwed!!

I decided that I should never need to go lower than 5.5 x on my LR rig.

POOF...enter the 5.5 - 22 x56 NXS!! I couldn't afford the March 5-50x or I would have one of them. :D

You should be asking is how low do I need to go on the bottom end. Can I get buy with 6.5x on the bottom or do I need less.....5.5...4.5....4....3.5....ect.

But on the bottom, if you have 6 x on the low side and need less, you're screwed!!

AGREE!
gun)

I decided that I should never need to go lower than 5.5 x on my LR rig.

POOF...enter the 5.5 - 22 x56 NXS!! I couldn't afford the March 5-50x or I would have one of them. :D

Well said.

What's your max magnification you use for long range hunting? Distances from 600-1000 yard shots. Is a 20x power plus scope necessary?

16x and 25x both work well IMO. I have scopes for both.

I was talking to a well known sheep guide out west earlier this year. He told he doesn't take clients on sheep hunts if they bring any scope less than a 14x. Only 14x and above.

People claim they can do this and do that with less, but thats on a bench. In real world hunting conditions being able to zoom in can make a difference between a badly wounded animal and a 1 shot kill.

16x and 25x both work well IMO. I have scopes for both.

I was talking to a well known sheep guide out west earlier this year. He told he doesn't take clients on sheep hunts if they bring any scope less than a 14x. Only 14x and above.

People claim they can do this and do that with less, but thats on a bench. In real world hunting conditions being able to zoom in can make a difference between a badly wounded animal and a 1 shot kill.
I'd find that pretty difficult to believe. Myself and many other people have shot prairie dogs at 300-400yds with no more than 10x and only a tiny fraction of hunters are capable of making shots beyond 300yds on game no matter how much magnification they are using.

This crowd at LRH is by far the exception to the rule as to the latter. We are the 1 percenters in that regard LOL.

I second that sentiment WR.
I took 4 marmots in August of this year at over 3/4 mile (1320yds) with a 16x, and took shots out to a mile.
Took numerous other marmots from 400 to over 600 yards with a 10x.
Scope power is one part of the overall ability to see your target. Image quality plays a huge part.
I have shot paper and taken a few shots at marmots over 1000 yards with that same 10x scope, and could see my target just fine... very, very small, but clearly.
2.5-10x32 Nightforce. 4-16x50 Schmidt Bender PMII.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.