Long range scope magnification

CamouMan

I am looking into buying a Tikka CTR in a 260 for long range target, shooting out to 1400 yards.

I am looking at the Vortex Razor HD's

Would the 3-18x50 be sufficient or should the 4.5-27x56 be the one to go with?

And maybe thoughts on a better cheaper scope?

If it's going to be purely target shooting, higher magnification will usually be your friend.
If you will be doing any hunting, I would recommend a lower setting.
I used to prefer very high magnification even for hunting, (scopes in the 8-40x range) but as I have progressed, and started shooting further and further, beyond 1 mile and now ready with a range out to 2 miles now, I have actually lowered my magnificatiim settings.

It comes down to personal preference and practicality, but as a general rule, I would say that the minimum magnification for a given distance is about the distance multiplied by 10. 1000 yards - 10X.
Personally I use scopes in the 24x range but often wind down to 20 or 18 when shooting steel to get a clearer image, less mirage, and when hunting, I tend to try to use the lowest mag setting I can, so I can keep my sight picture easier, spot and react quicker and easier.
Even when I have to use all my clicks and wind down to 6X to get 15 MILS more elevation, I don't really suffer shooting at extreme distances with low magnification.

But it all comes down to the point where personal preference meets practicality .

All you have to do to line up with the target is be capable of identifying it and putting the cross hairs where you want the shot to terminate. Just because the target looks bigger in the scope doesn't make it any easier to hit.
I think you'll find that Chris Kyle's most powerful scope was 32 power and he made shots out to a mile.

All you have to do to line up with the target is be capable of identifying it and putting the cross hairs where you want the shot to terminate. Just because the target looks bigger in the scope doesn't make it any easier to hit.
I think you'll find that Chris Kyle's most powerful scope was 32 power and he made shots out to a mile.

I tend to use more magnification closer and less further. For me that means my 22LR, 30ish for up to 400 yards and my 338 Edge is 22 at 2080 yards for a great target picture.

To high a magnification for the distance and conditions and things distort from "mirage". Ask me how I know. Hahaha.gun)

Those Vortex scopes are nice, but they are very heavy and very expensive...I have actually shot a rifle quite a bit with the 4.5-27. My humble opinion, for the money it's tough to beat a good old Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x. Targets, hunting, whatever else you're good.

I am looking into buying a Tikka CTR in a 260 for long range target, shooting out to 1400 yards.

I am looking at the Vortex Razor HD's

Would the 3-18x50 be sufficient or should the 4.5-27x56 be the one to go with?

And maybe thoughts on a better cheaper scope?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

That really depends on your personal preference and eyesight. I can't shoot what I cannot see so I need as much magnification I can possibly get clearly.

I can do 14X at a 1K yards (my self-imposed limit for game at the moment).

There are shooters that can shoot at that distance with open sight ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM?t=1[/ame]

True, the NXS were my first choice, but from what I see they don't come in a first focal plane other than the 3-15 but I was hoping on getting more zoom than that.

Look at the March 3-24x52 or 5-40x56 while your looking in the price range. Less weight and 8x magnification. They also have mil or moa with 34mils/120moa elevation.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.