Scope Magnification for LRH

Max Scope Magnification?

• Total voters
Thought about this a bit. Does it make a difference to you guys for first round hits? It does me. Not saying you can't hit first round, but it seems to make at least feel more confident at the LR shot with a higher mag. I tend to lean toward the higher mag scopes and back them off if I need to. Kind of like wearing a coat or freezing......if you have it great, if you don't burrrrrr.

I have a 4-14 and the 5.5-22 on my bigger game rifles. I have various other cheap scopes in the 6-24 range, but they are really junk for LR work. The are fine for wacking ground squirrels.

A lot of that question depends on the quality of the glass in the scope. A lot of guys use the Nightforce 5.5-22. I have a 2.5-10 NF that I would feel comfortable shooting big game with to 1K, but my long range varmint rifle uses a Schmidt Bender PMII 4-16. It has worked on marmots and marmot sized targets out to 1400.

The highest magnification scope I currently use is a Leupold LRT 6.5-20x50 but I would really like to have a Nightforce 22x. I have never used one but from what I have read on here and everywhere else they are top of the line.

When shooting rocks with the aid of a spotter at 1,000 or more, I like 20x....but when shooting alone I usually dial it back to 12x. The advantage of lower magnification at long range, at least for me, is the ability to recover the sight picture through the scope much faster to "spot" my own hits.

I use a 4-16 on the LR rifle and a 6.5-20 on the LR varmiter. 99.9% of my LR shooting on critters is Pdogs, and both scopes work great. The higher mag (20x) is great for the sight picture but the 16x has it beat hands down for picking up your target. I thought about swapping scopes on those 2 rifles but, after considering my tendency to walk up on deer and elk at very close distances I decided the 4x power was better served for filling the freezer. FWIW I consistently connect with the hunting rifle at distances that I struggle to connect with the varmint rifle.

I have spent a stupid amount of money over the last few years on glass swapping and trading everything from zeiss to NF NXS 5.5-22 to a Monstrous US Optics 5-25. I have finally settled on the Nightforce F13.5-15 with NPR1 reticle. I think this scope is really hard to beat for a precision optic that is applicable in hunting situations. All of my hunting rifles will wear on with the exception of possible a higher mag on a dedicated varmint/Pdog rifle, however for coyote rifles up to elk rifles nothing but the F1 for me

It depends on what we consider LRH to be and on what size game. If it starts at 800 meters and on medium to large size game then I think a straight 10x will work just fine.

I voted 17-25 but I need to qualify that a bit. My mid range rifle is a .25/06 with a straight 10x (MK4) the rifle/load combo is good for 650 yards on the game I hunt and the 10X is fine for that. My long range hunter is a .264WM and wears another MK4 in 4.5-14 the last rifle is a 7MM Mashburn Super, long range rock crusher and it will sport a 4-20 Minox as soon as it gets back from Minox, (minor issue).

Since the 20X is the most magnification I use that's how I voted, in reality I use less power more often. As a new long range shooter I'm still extending my range and upgrading my rifles so the above scopes work for me. I don't care so much about the low end magnification, for years I hunted deer here in Missouri with a straight 6X and it was fine. As long a scope is well mounted I'm looking through it as soon as it comes to my shoulder and it's as quick to the shot as a 2X for me.

Bob

MMERSS summed it up pretty well.
Low end still must be compatible with the closest range you're likely to engage game, and have a FOV large enough for rapid acquisition.
High end will of course be limited by the low end...
Higher magnification will provide a more precise point of aim, not as important in a hunting application as if is if trying to hit moa size targets at range.

Mirage is usually the limiting factor, on many days it is impossible to get above 20x, sometimes even 16x at 1K.

I've shot my .308 @ 1000yds. using a Leupy MKIV 3.5-10x40 TMR M3 no problem. Can still see a 4"x5" flapper on steel target at 900yds I have a 3.5-15x50 NF R1, it's almost ideal at those ranges for me.

Mirage is definetly a problem out here in the summer.

I'm still kind of a noob at the 600+ yard game, but I've done a good deal of shooting with muzzleloaders out to 400. Here in Utah we are limited to a 1x scope so I have a really good idea of what limitations you encounter as a result of reticle subtensions. A 10x scope at 1000 yards gives the same type of sight picture as a 1x scope at 100 yards, which is very good on something like a deer. I think if you're shooting clay pigeons at 1000 or gophers and such you'll want higher magnification. I'm shooting rocks and steel gongs at long range and possibly a deer or elk, so I would be better served by something in the 4-16x range. Currently using a 4.5-14 and have been very happy with it.

At 100 yards with my 14x I can detect reticle movement very easily. I may not know if that's 1/32" or 3/32", but I know if it's moving.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.