Scope help To 500 yards

Ronvt

I've been a reader of this forum for several years. I know this question has been asked before, but bear with me. I am building a Weatherby vanguard 300 Weatherby with a schneider barrel 1:10 24", muzzle brake, glass and pillar bedded and having the trigger dropped to 2.5. I had nightforce rings put on and now I'm looking to buy a scope that will primarily be used for hunting moose and hopefully some day elk. I can't imagine shooting beyond 500 yards and I have access to a 300 yard range. I am considering the nightforce shv 4-14, or should I be looking at the 5-20. I do hunt in newfoundland and Have the opportunity to take a longer range shot. I just don't want to miss out on a bull because of equipment. Thanks in advance.

Of those two I would go with the 4-14.

One thing to remember with the SHV line is that they are Second focal plane scopes meaning the reticle hashmark values are only true at a specified zoom power which is usually the highest power.

other than that the weight difference is only couple oz.s and the length of scope difference isn't too drastic

I have done target work out to 760 on 12 power and it was acceptable to me. having 500 yrd gun with 14x for me would be plenty.

If you were shooting LR competition I'd have recommended the 5-20. But for hunting the SHV 4-14 should be plenty of scope out to perhaps 7 - 800 yards. Also, unless you intend to use the scope for ranging, I wouldn't worry about the second focal plane issue.

14x on the top end should work fine for you especially with a max range limit of 500yds.

What I'd be more concerned about is going with a 56mm Obj, 50mm at an absolute minimum because they will perform much better in low light than smaller obj's.

My vote is for the new Burris XTR II. Magnification range is personal preference. If it were my money, the 5-25-50 would get the nod. 5x is plenty low enough for any situation that calls for low mag and wide field of view. 25x is enough magnification to kill anything legal to hunt at any distance you have any business pulling the trigger. If 25x is a bit much the 4-20-50 is another fine choice.

I've been a reader of this forum for several years. I know this question has been asked before, but bear with me. I am building a Weatherby vanguard 300 Weatherby with a schneider barrel 1:10 24", muzzle brake, glass and pillar bedded and having the trigger dropped to 2.5. I had nightforce rings put on and now I'm looking to buy a scope that will primarily be used for hunting moose and hopefully some day elk. I can't imagine shooting beyond 500 yards and I have access to a 300 yard range. I am considering the nightforce shv 4-14, or should I be looking at the 5-20. I do hunt in newfoundland and Have the opportunity to take a longer range shot. I just don't want to miss out on a bull because of equipment. Thanks in advance.
10x is more than adequate for 500yds. What's more important than the magnification is the quality of glass ad size of the objective. Go with at least a 50-56mm obj and the best glass you can afford. The low light performance of the larger objectives and quality glass makes all the difference in the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.