Scope for distances out to 800 yards?

matt_3479

Last year i had opportunity to harvest a moose at 550 yards, and the year before that a black bear at 400 and something yards. I have seen deer at 600 yards+. Now i have began practicing out to 600 yards just recently and will continue to practice out to that range until i am completely comfortable. But i would like to get a scope that would help me out at that range. I need something that will get me out to 800 yards max but would most likely keep it within 600 yards. A lot suggest the Night force but someone told me the Viper PST would be smarter since im not planning on 1000+. It will be mounted on a 300 wsm and this year it seems to me it will be going after Montana Elk and deer!

Can someone suggest some scopes to me that would be good for my needs? Vortex Viper PST or do i have to put out the money for a night force or Leupold. I would rather not spend too much money.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 x44 on my 300wsm and I am very happy with it. I was hitting a 12 inch steel plate consistantly at 630yds. and the groups out of my Savage mod.11 stayed sub-moa..

Also ,just took delivery of another viper ,same scope only with mil-dot ret. that will be going on my m.o.a. single shot pistol when it gets here, so yes I like the Vortex Vipers..
FYI opticsplanet.com has it for 399.00 with free shipping.. I don't think you will find a better 30mm scope for the same or less money..

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 awesome scope,very clear glass,track excellent. I had one on my Edge and now have one on my 300 ultra

You might want to take a look at the Nitrex by Weaver TR2 4-20x50 SF scope available at www.natchezss.com Really very good Japanese optics with bright/clear glass in them and their adjustments track well. Heck of a buy on them being it is a discontinued model and price discounted, with also a $100 Nitrex rebate. Have a couple of Nitrex TR2s and I'm very pleased with them.

I also have been using a vortex viper 6.5x20x44, one on my 300wsm and one on my 7mm. They have worked better then I thought they would, take a look at them if you can.

I think all quality scopes that have power ranges of 4-16 or greater will work well to a 1000 yards on game. To me what's as important as the power range is the type of reticle and the weight of the scope. Nightforce is a great scope no question there, but in my opinion it's like bolting a tank on top of your rifle. The 3-15 weighs 30oz and on a carry rifle that's a lot. Also I like the hash marks on the reticle to match the come up's which the Nightforce has.

The Virper PST FFP fits into my criteria very well. The 4-16 at 22oz with MOA reticle and MOA come up's is going on a rifle currently being built. The rifle will not be use beyond 700 yards on game.

There are lots of choices out there. Took me quite awhile to decide the Viper PST was the scope that would fit my needs for less than a thousand bucks. Good luck on your search.

Just look through several different scopes before you commit to buy. If possible, look through your top choices in a place where you can switch back and forth. It's hard to really get an appreciation for the optics if you look at one scope and then a few weeks later look through another. Whatever you get make sure that you get something that you will be happy with for many years to come. If you buy a $400 dollar scope this year just to be disappointed with it in a few years you will find yourself buying bigger and better later on. I wanted to make sure that I got all that I wanted and then some. That's why I went with the Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NXS. Overkill? Maybe some of the time. Underkill? Never.

might take a look at the zeiss 4.5-14 rapid z 800 BDC reticle, A heck of alot of scope for the money. good for 800 yrds, set power to your cal. and point and shoot. That would be my choice.

The Leupold var x 3 arent that expensive, easy to find used. The 4-14 will work fine for that yardage

What method of scope doping do you plan on using for shooting to 800 yards, ie a BDC reticle design to approximate bullet drop at distance, BDC with consistent change in subtension hash marks (like 1/2 mil or 2 MOA), or dialing? Do you want turrets designations to match reticle ( I would suggest that you do)? Is weight a concern? What about focal plane? Target turrets?

I would start by answering these questions then start looking for scopes. Once you start narrowing down features the list usually shrinks to a manageable one.

Some thoughts.

It doesn't take much effort to find a scope with good enough glass for anything you might need in the field. I tend to look first at durability and repeatability (especially if I am going to be using the turrets a lot for adjusting for distance).

I would also look at CS as an important factor. I have been very lucky and have only had a couple scope failures on all of my rifles, I attribute much of this to the rings I use and how I mount the scope, but if you need customer service it is nice to have a good company that can take care of you efficiently.

This is somewhat personal preference but if you are thinking about looking at using a BDC style reticle then I would strongly consider you look at the ones that use consistent subtension hashmarks over ones that try to match varying bullet BC's. I think the benefits are great once you get used to using this kind of reticle.

Since this is a big game scope I would suggest you don't get too caught up in the high mag power game. 10x is plenty of power to make very accurate shots on big game at 800 yards. Often times guys get burnt by having too high of a mag on the low end and end up missing close up shots because they can't find their target in the scope quickly enough. I would say 3-4 is good on the low end and I even like 2.5's. I rarely go over 14x on the top end. I don't like the perception of a more shaky view the higher mags provide and I often get mirage issues above this which completely defeats the purpose. Also, staying around 10x and you can get by without a AO which saves weight and makes for a more durable scope, nice features on a big game gun in many situations.

I am slowly transitioning more and more of my scopes to FFP as I get used to the benefits they offer. As scope makers continue to add features and better technologies we are going to have better and better options for hunting purposes. If you go FFP I like to keep the power range at 3-4x as I don't seem to have issues with reticles thickness being too much or too little for varying terrain changes. Reticle design matters here too. Also, if you choose a SFP scope try and figure out what power mag you are going to be most comfortable with and make sure the subtension size fits your needs at that power range. I like buying scopes that have power ranges that allow me to quickly and easily keep track of changing subtension sizes when changing power. For instance a 2.5-10 scope with the subtention spacing set at 1 MOA at 10X means that they will be 2 MOA at 5x and 4 MOA at 2.5X. This gives me easy to remember and workable numbers for calculations. a 4-16 would give the same at 16X, 8x, and 4x, etc.

If you are going to dial for range then turret design and consistency is paramount. I would be more inclined to spend the big bucks here as I have lost count of how many scopes I have seen that don't adjust the correct amount per click and/or also change click amount as one moves from the center to the end of a turrets adjustment range. Yes even many of the big boys! I think this is one of the reasons NF is so popular with the die hard long rangers that dial. Consistent and repeatable turrets are the norm for NF.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.