The Ultimate Hunting Rangefinder to 800 yards?

stiff neck

It appears the Sig KILO5K ($580 at CameraLand, $650 msrp) by itself offers about everything a hunter needs out to 800 yards. Without needing a Kestrel or phone app. Am I missing something? There seems to be very few reviews about the KILO5K.

Ranging capability 2000-2500 yards
7x magnification
Onboard temp/pressure
Applied Ballistics "ultralight" calculator to 800 yards
Angle compensation
Bluetooth compatability with Kestrel/smart devices
Free App to configure 25 bullets and 8 rifle profiles
BaseMap App compatability for dropping pins via laser

The Kilo5k as a standalone unit seems perfect for "most" western hunting without the need for a second Kestrel type device. Like sub-600 yards, the onboard AB software and atmospherics will easily handle that. Or, sync a Kestrel or ballistic app to calculate 800+ yards if you need/want to for actual 800+ "long range".

52046481418_2911f36e33_c.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how the glass is on the sig, but for about the same money the Leica 2800.com has nice glass. No applied ballistics unless you pair it with a kestrel. Just Leica app.

I just bought the Kilo 5k and really like it. I will be taking it to the range for the first time tomorrow. I have been playing around the house and getting it set up with my Kestrel 5700 Elite. No complaints on glass. It is interesting that you mention 800 yards as the 5k will only provide ballistic solutions out to that distance yards. If I didn't have the kestrel, I would have gone with the 8k.

I just bought a KILO5K too and look forward to carrying less gizmos while hunting.

The Leica 1800.com may have better glass, but you still have to buy a Kestrel to pair it for atmospherics and ballistics.

The whole point is that the KILO5K (supposedly) does it all with onboard atmospherics and onboard Applied Ballistics and you don't need a Kestrel or anything else out to 800 yards.

Realistically, sub-800 yards probably covers the vast majority of "long range" hunter's needs even right here on Long Range Hunting. Anyone who is serious about 800+ is surely going to have a Kestrel anyways no matter the rangefinder. The KILO5K mates with the Kestrel no problem.

Yes the $1800 KILO8K better but it's also 3x the price of the $650 KILO5K.

I also just purchased a KILO5K and so far absolutely love the glass and brightness. The one interesting thing about the KILO5K is the integration with BaseMap. I have not tested this, so I cannot speak to how well it works, but in theory, it would be an amazing feature.

Recent Posts