Scope for 270

Watched my wife do a first round strike at 670 yards on a 30" rock with her Howa 270. Used Hornady ballistic app to dial her Diamondback tactical FFP mrad.
Stepped her back to 950 plus, first round was right of 60" rock from wind drift

While on Scopes, I have a question? Picatinny rail. Never used one before, and not sure If I need one either. I have 700LA rifle being built. I am going to mount a 3x18x50 with a 34mm tube scope on the rifle. I feel or think, I am going to need at lease 1" tall scope rings to accommodated or clear the barrel. ( Not going to order rings until I can check it out). In the pass I generally use a Leupold single piece mounting base, and placed the rings on the base at whatever high was needed. I don't see it being much different than Picatinny rail. Now the reason for the Leupold single bases was or as I understand it. That single base help strengthen or stiffen the action, to cut down the flex in the action. Now that maybe a fairy tail. Not for sure. I understand the use of a picatinny rail for longer ranges than a normal setting would do. Now here what I see. The Leupold is in some ways action as a picatinny rail, and by getting taller or higher scopes rings would do as much as a picatinny rail would do, to a point. The other is a cant picatinny rail. I have read about them but didn't retained the source to purchase one. If there is animal like that.

Last edited:
I have been studying Maven Optics. They have several nice options to choose from. I may use them for my next optic. Made in Japan by LOW from what I can gather. No middle man so prices are decent.

I just picked up a Viper HS 2.5-10x44 for my Sako 270 Win. I was actually considering one of the Trijicons too but I went with the Vortex because I preferred the eye box. I almost went with the Viper HS 4-16 but I didn't really need the extra magnification.

Mike, The one and only Picatinny rail I have is a 20 MOA on a heavy barrel Savage Model 10, in 308. The rifle was purchased to shoot the bench rest game, 100 yard Score Shooting, or Bulls Eye shooting. The 36 X Sightron was never clear and , and the image was never sharp. I sent the scope back to Sightron and I received a call from them asking Why I had the scope adjusted to max as it did. They asked me if I was using a rail with MOA built in to the rail. I said yes!! The said please used regular Rings and Basses as the scope has sufficient elevation to shoot the 308 , at 600 yards or more, with enough internal elevation movement. All my hunting rifles use 2 piece steel Leupold Rings and bases and my favorite are the Dual Dove Tail Rings and Base set up. The picture is my 270 Weatherby Mag, with a Leupold 4.5X to 14 X scope. I also shoot this rifle at a LR shooting school, with the Leupold 8.5 X to25 X Leupold VX 3 . All I did was remove the scope you see in the picture , and pop on the other. 1000, and 1200 yard steel shooting was not a problem at all with this set up. Plenty of MOA elevation adjustment in the scope, no need for a MOA rail at that range, with that caliber. over a 100 rounds fired prior to attending the shooting school, and 85 rounds fired in two days at the school. A very secure and strong set up for a hunting rifle. Just my personal opinion Mike .

Attachments

• IMG_2476 (1)270 Weath mag Leupoold  4.5 to 14 X  Pic 1.jpg
    IMG_2476 (1)270 Weath mag Leupoold 4.5 to 14 X Pic 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
I fitted a Meopta Meostar R2 1.7-10x42 RD with a 4K reticle on my Sako L61R .270W. Brilliant Euro scope at a reasonable price. Rings are Sako Optilock and the barrel is fluted which brought the rifles balance to its optimum, great for pigs in scrub. The low power suits heavy forest, the higher power more than enough for open country for deer. The barrel is also set up as a slow switch so I can fit a heavier caliber with the intention of buffalo/banteng, it will be 9.3x62 Mauser. No bolt face machining required.

Have you considered:

often that one can be found for $600-$800.

Thanks for the replies. I narrowed it down between those 2 scopes because they fit the bill for what I am looking for. I want a scope with max magnification of 16x, 44-42mm objective, exposed elevation turret, MOA/MOA turret/reticle, relatively lightweight and under $900.
LLol under $900 with all those features good luck with that