Scope Recommendation for .270 Winchester

SansSouci

I am not a long range shooter, but on occasion I have opportunity to take shots out to 500 yards or so.

I just bought a Sako AV in .270 Win. It's in pristine condition and appears to have never been fired. I was going to put either a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 or a VX-3 2.5x8. But now Im enamored of the Leupold VX-3 4.5x14. I go with 40MM objectives because I like my scopes to be a close to barrels as possible.

One of the longest shots I've made was on a buck antelope with my .270 Win & a 130 grain Sierra GameKing. I know that the .270 Win is capable of taking game a long way away. If I am very, very lucky that my new Salo AV .270 Win is as accurate as my Sako AV 7MM Rem Mag (It will shoot way under MOA), I want to be set for an occasion long shot. I do have a lot of desert big horn bonus points, so if my number comes up, I want to be ready and well equipped.

What would you long range hunting guys recommend? Should I go with a 4.5x14 or use one of the scopes I have?

Thanks.

What type of reticles and turrets do your existing scopes have? If the they don't allow accurate elevation hold-offs you will probably need a new scope.

If you're stuck on Leupold (and there's nothing wrong with that) I'd get one with the LR Duplex and never look back. Get's you aiming out to 500 and simple...I like them.

While I would seriously consider the VX-3 4.5 - 14 x 40mm I would have some reservations due to the limitations in reticle selection. IMO, a hunting scope that doesn't offer a well developed MOA reticle lacks suitability for long range hunting.
IMO, the Boone & Crockett is the closest thing to a decent reticle that they offer in that scope.

Thanks, guys. I do appreciate your help.

All of my scopes have duplex reticles. So far, I have not experienced a single problem with them. But then again, I have no knowledge of the B&C reticle. I ought to spend some time checking in to it.

Except for a 40 year old Redfield 2x7, all of my scopes are Leupold. I know them, which is why it's reasonable for me to look there first.

I have an approx 25 year-old Vari-X II 4x12 on my 7MM Rem Mag. I LOVE that scope. It has never, ever lost zero. It does have an AO, which I don't need. But what the heck. I had a wife once that I didn't need.

The reality is I probably don't need a 4.5x14 scope on a .270 Win. The VX-III 2.5x8 is probably perfect for it, or maybe my Vari-X II 3x9. But for some reason, I have an itch for a 4.5x14.

40MM objectives are perfect for me. I can use medium height rings with them, which puts my eye right on my scope when I bring my rifle to shoulder while allowing scopes to mount just above barrels.

I don't have to rush into buying anything. My hunting season was over last Sept 14. So I have some time to prepare for the '15 season. But were I pushed in to a decision right now, I'd buy the 4.5x14.

My many thanks to FearNoWind for his putting me on to the B&C reticle. I will have to check in to it. I might wind up with a 4.5x14 with a B&C reticle.

Again, many thanks.

BTW, while I am by no means a long range hunter, I am learning a lot about a side of hunting that I did not know.

Here is one thing to which I am committed: regardless of our hunting preferences, hunters must stick together and support each other lest we surrender ammo to our anti-hunting enemies to use against us. While I am not a long range hunter to the extent of many here, I will defend and support your right to hunt as you see fit. It's long past time that all hunters stick together and go on a united intellectual offensive in order to defeat those who want to take our sport and our heritage from us. We're losing our Second Amendment one tiny compromise at a time. The anti-hunters are using the same strategy in attempt to defeat us.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.