Scope for a .270?

esshup

I'm giving my 16 yr. old nephew a new Mossberg ATR .270 for Christmas, and he will be needing to buy a scope for it.

He will probably be using it for paper, groundhogs, 'yotes, deer and maybe antelope & elk. Who knows? We cannot use it to hunt deer in this state (Indiana) but it's legal for varmints - go figure. It's his first rifle other than a .22LR, so I imagine his eyes will bug out when he opens the box tomorrow.
A cousin lives in Wyoming, so I'm pretty sure that it'll be taking a trip out there in the future.

I wrote up a list of things for him to buy, so I don't know how much $$ he will have for a scope, but he's really good at putting $$ away, so I'm guessing that he'll have enough to buy a decent scope. I wrote & said that if he bought the brass, powder & bullets I would help him learn how to reload.

What does everybody recommend? I suggested a 2.5-10 x 40 or 3-9 x 40 scope.

The gun has weaver style bases from the factory, but I dislike using weaver style rings. Suggestions? I'm 99% sure that it takes the same bases as a Remington 700.

Last edited:
IMO the most solid are the double dovetail bases. Rock solid and idiot proof and reasonable priced other than the weaver.

To me, the windage adjustable are one more thing to come loose and figure out how to adjust when zeroing.

You can add the burris signature rings with inserts in them even if you want to add up to 20 MOA in the ring setup.

email sent also.

BH

My favorite "do everything" scope is a Leupold VariX-III in 4.5x14x40 (1" tube), as it will do everything he is EVER likely to need. It is a little spendy (around $550), but you get what you pay for. I'd get a straight Duplex reticle and never look back. I've been using this scope on a lightweight (8lb) 7mm Rem Mag for 7-8 years and it has performed flawlessly. I recently shot a .26" 200yd 3 shot group from bipods with this scope/rifle combo.

This scope on top of a quality .270Win will do just about everything that needs doing!

AJ

esshup, I have a Mossberg 100 ATR in 270 and its shooting a little less then 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Best 300 bucks I spent on a cheap rifle that shoots this good. It took 2 scope before I broke down and bought a good one. BSA scopes are junk, but hey it came on the rifle as a package deal. So I guess you live and you learn. Glass is one thing you don't want to get cheap on. But I bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X40 with the tactical knobs and its done what I wanted out to 750 yards. Just depends what you want to put on it. After all its your money. -Jake-

Thanks guys for the replies. My nephew asked me twice if the gun was really his.:) He really likes the idea of reloading as well, so another convert joins the flock!:D It will be a good reason for him to get out of the house during the "boring" winter. (He will be coming over here to reload and to shoot as well.)

He did go out with another friend of the family's and shot his first 2 honkers this past Sunday. When he puts his mind to something, he doesn't back down - it was -2*F with a wind chill in the mid -20's that morning.:cool:

He will be spending a few hours on the computer comparing scopes (I imagine) and he'll probably make up his mind in a week or less. The trigger is kinda creepy, so I'll do some looking to see if I can adjust it without some serious work.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
My favorite "do everything" scope is a Leupold VariX-III in 4.5x14x40 (1" tube), as it will do everything he is EVER likely to need. It is a little spendy (around $550

This exact scope sits on every rifle I own. Currently $462 at midsouthshooterssupply.com

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.