Scope choices

tayhot

I'm in the process of a 338 RUM build and and looking at the Leupold Mark4 scopes or the Huskemaw Blue Diamond scope. What are your thoughts and reccomendations? Your experience is greatly appreciated.

I can't tell you anything good or bad about the Huskemaw as I've never even seen one in real life.

I can tell you that I have two MK 4's (only one w/alumina flip ups Mike:D), the first is a 8.5-25x50 M1 w/TMR reticle, it survived my 338RUM & 300SMK's for several months before being moved to my custom 6-284. Return to zero has been perfect, no issues whatsoever, the one caveat I do have is the TMR reticle is in mils & the M1 turret is in MOA... but my ballistic calculator doesn't care, it reads elevation clicks in moa & wind holds in mils, works just find.

The second is the newest to adorn my 338RUM, it's the new 6.5-20x50 MK 4, M5-A, auto locking turret. 34mm tube, FFP, zero stop & rev counter; this beast costs nearly twice as much as the MK4 M1, but from my preliminary assessment, is nearly twice the scope as well. It is taking some getting used to the mil system for sure, but come-ups have been precise & return to zero is perfect so far.

As of now I can heartily recommend the American product.

My rifles wear MK4s...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

They are great. I would stay away from the Huskemaw as their adjustments are not fine enough (they are in .3moa).

If you want to save a few $$ and still have a great scope, look at the Sightron SIII series. SIIIs are the only scopes a couple of my buddies shoot with. If I did not already have MK4s on my rifles, they would have Sightron SIIIs on them....

SWFA Sightron Riflescopes Sightron SIII Riflescopes

I really enjoy my M4 6-20 MIL/MIL TMR, no where near cost above, made my own zero stop in 30 minutes, rides on 338 norma, ffp

I have two Huskemaws and four MK4's. Both are excellent scopes and I would have no problem using either, but for my hunting I like the Huskemaw a little better. Being primarily a deer hunter, set up time for the shot is my most critical issue. The Huskemaw is fast and easy to get into action. I like the high contrast blue and white calibrated turrets, the very accurate parallax knob which is calibrated in yards, and the design of the ranging Reticle for when the conditions dont allow use of my rangefinder. I have had to use the built in rangefinder a couple of times. It works very well. The low light clarity of the optics is equal to the MK 4 and the turret adjustments are exact. Over time, I believe it will establish a solid reputation.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.